A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I guess the honeymoon's over already...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess the honeymoon's over already...

Frustrating weekend with my new-to-me '01 B5. I guess it was inevitable that I'd start to notice the little things eventually, but I'm kind of mad at myself for not noticing them before I bought the thing. Here's the list so far:

1) Took my usual look back at the car after parking it and stopped dead in my tracks. The light was hitting the left front fender just right and for the first time I noticed a small dent where a rock or something thrown by the tire had pushed the edge out a bit. It can probably be fixed relatively easy, but suddenly she isn't so beautiful anymore.

2) The passenger door speaker vibrates (buzzes) with any kind of bass. Makes most music almost unlistenable, and even talk radio is annoying with certain voices. Might be a loose mount but from STFA, I see it's a common problem and the previous owner probably overcooked it. Not a cheap fix from what I understand since the speakers are self-amplified. From past experience with Audi speakers (and not really being interested in going aftermarket at this point anyway), it seems car audio shops hate those things.

3) After a couple of washings, I've been paying more attention to the small scratches in the paint that I never noticed before. Nothing unreasonable, and it still wouldn't have stopped me from buying the car, AND still WAY better than my dear departed 90S. Wondering if the ebony pearl requires any special care in detailing, waxing, clay-barring, etc.?

4) This weekend was windy as hell, especially yesterday. I finally got to experience the overly sensitive Audi alarm system. Every f'ing 5 minutes my damn alarm was going off yesterday! I was afraid the battery would be dead by this morning! Fortunately the wind died down overnight. I know there's info on AW on adjusting the sensitivity of the alarm, so I'm not asking for advice...just pissing and moaning.

<<rant over>>

<<yes, I need to make a sig>>
Old 05-09-2005, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Were the windows open when you had your alarm on?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you need to make a sig...

j/k!

1. dents and scratches are inevitable. It's something we hate to see, but we also need to live with it.

2. you're are probably right about the blown speakers, oem audi speakers are garbage. you have 2 options: a. going aftermarket, or b. find a used set on classified.

3. See #1.

4. Turn off the interior motion sensor when you leave your windows open.

Unlike cars from the Japanese makers, A4's need constant TLC. But it pays back every time you drives it.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:50 AM

Nope. Locked up tight.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the alarm...

The alarm could be your battery. Unless you're experiencing gale-force winds rocking the car, I can't imagine the wind is setting it off. Some users have experienced problems with low battery fluids leading to trigger-happy alarms.

I also have a link on my home computer to some aftermarket 2-ohm speakers if you have the Bose system.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Agree with everything you said there, except #4

As I said, the dings do nothing to keep me from loving the car as a whole. And buying a 4 yr old car...even one that was garage-kept...has inherent risks, which I knew going in.

I never park my car with the windows open, so I know it wasn't that. I'm fully aware of the FAQ's on the subject, so the sensitivity of the alarm has me puzzled. There's nothing hanging from the mirror, and I certainly don't leave my cat in there, so whatever was triggering it is a mystery to me!

As far as the joy of driving it, I still get that thrill every time I get behind the wheel, and I'm enjoying every minute of driving it, including going out of my way to make trips I used to avoid or delay, and taking the long way everywhere. The only thing bad about it is that I'm making the oil companies rich from all my 93 octane purchases!

Waiting for my profesional photographer brother to get better pics before I create a sig.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:11 AM

If you had seen how hard the wind was blowing yesterday, you wouldn't have doubts :-)
Old 05-09-2005, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

u'r right! the need to buy premium sucks!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cool...

I guess if the car is getting blown around, it could set off the alarm. You can turn off the interior sensor temporarily by pushing the button below the B pillar (it's about halfway up, right behind your seat) which could possibly help.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Default RE scratches ...

Try a liquid rubbing compound from 3M called "Finnesse-It II". This does a beautiful job on fine scratches which haven't completely penetrated the paint and leaves a high gloss finish.

Quick Reply: I guess the honeymoon's over already...