A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do I know if my clutch is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I too have the same question regarding the clutch on a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro. I decided to buy the car, around April 2005 at the end of my lease. A couple months later, I had to replace one of my engine seals (long story here, another post maybe) but was also told I should replace the clutch which I did. The flywheel was resurfaced. if I recall.

I went on to buy an '06 A4, and kept the '01 for my spouse. We end up driving about 3k-5K a year on this car. I recently had it serviced at my Audi dealer to be told the clutch was going and should be replaced (Again???), because when you start rolling, the clutch has friction all the way to the top of the pedal, when it's fully released (not sure if I am explaining this clearly).

Two clutches in 25,000km????

In any case, I will do the testing prescribed above.

I now own a 2010 S4 6-speed and I am so careful (as I have always been), to use the clutch in a conservative way, never slipping it, taking the foot off the pedal between each shift and leaving on neutral at red lights. Are driving habits a factor in how fast the clutch wears out?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by torqued
Hi, I too have the same question regarding the clutch on a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro. I decided to buy the car, around April 2005 at the end of my lease. A couple months later, I had to replace one of my engine seals (long story here, another post maybe) but was also told I should replace the clutch which I did. The flywheel was resurfaced. if I recall.

I went on to buy an '06 A4, and kept the '01 for my spouse. We end up driving about 3k-5K a year on this car. I recently had it serviced at my Audi dealer to be told the clutch was going and should be replaced (Again???), because when you start rolling, the clutch has friction all the way to the top of the pedal, when it's fully released (not sure if I am explaining this clearly).

Two clutches in 25,000km????

In any case, I will do the testing prescribed above.

I now own a 2010 S4 6-speed and I am so careful (as I have always been), to use the clutch in a conservative way, never slipping it, taking the foot off the pedal between each shift and leaving on neutral at red lights. Are driving habits a factor in how fast the clutch wears out?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
High engagement is very normal for a stock clutch and is not exactly the correct way to know when a stock clutch needs to be replaced. Just sounds like they are just trying to sell you a clutch and labor to replace it.

Just drive the car in high gear(4th or 5th) at a speed so the rpms are low (1500-2000) and go WOT. If the rpms rise quicker then the mph then the clutch needs to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Like he said^^, best test
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will my power and quickness return with a new clutch? I recall my car feeling sluggish before the breakdown of the clutch.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Clutch and the wisdom of double-clutching...

Originally Posted by mrtoo1
1. Just curious, How would anything "catch" if the car is in neutral i.e. not in gear...

2. This is a good way to tell if the clutch is slipping. You can also put the car in gear engage the parking brake and slowly let the clutch out. If it stalls right away, your clutch is good, if the clutch slips its bad.

3. I hope your just double clutching while downshifting, if you have to doubleclutch while upshifting syncros may be bad.
OK, now your point no. 3 sent me in overdrive searching for more. I am totally mesmerized by the fact that people could still be double-clutching with modern-days cars...

First, let's just say that double clutching should only be used for downshifting, never upshifting.

Second, is there anyone double-clutching in 2010? Also, would that be false double-clutching (revving up the engine while downshifting and leaving the clutch fully pressed during the operation) or true double-cluthing (depressing the clutch on neutral). I am so curious about this because my mom (who taught me how to drive because she was an outstanding driver and my father was a horrible driver) never bother to teach me this...

Would double-clutching would make a huge difference on the life of a clutch from 100,000km and 150,000km?

Anyone driving a modern day Audi double-clutching and heel and toe'ing?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by torqued
First, let's just say that double clutching should only be used for downshifting, never upshifting.
I'll bite.

Why? If you are rev matching your downshifts, there is no need to double clutch.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Mr Mc Feely

folks below have this fairly well covered. 4th - 5th highway speeds, lower RPM WOT. If you get quick bursts engine revs with no real speed increase, it's time.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seems a little much to spend on a '99. Normal clutch job is $900 or so, maybe
$1200 with a used flywheel.

The clutch parts are available for $250-$300 if you look around. I re-surfaced my own flywheel with a random orbital sander, it worked surprising well. The job is supposed to take 8-10 hrs but it takes me
double that.