A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How can you tell if you have sports suspension?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if you have sports suspension?

I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 with 150K on it and parts are wearing out quicker than I can replace them.

Just replaced all of the control arms on the front, tie rod ends, sway bar links, new brakes all around. Took it in for an alignment, got everything adjusted except the toe adjustment in the back is frozen solid so I've got my rear wheels pointing inward 2 inches. Also the suspension apparently is sagging.

Back when I bought the car in 2004, I bought it with a "sports package" and assumed the car had sports suspension. Looking at the springs I see 3 paint dots, but don't know what they mean and before I get into replacing shocks and springs, would like to know what those dots signify or what code I might be looking for to show the car has sports suspension or not?

I was looking at going with blauparts shocks package, but am wondering about what to do with the springs? Leave them or buy new. Mostly out there seems to be lowering springs, but I don't want to get too low due to snow clearance issues.

Mostly for now I just need to keep the car running and am willing to replace what parts are needed, but I don't want to sink an endless fortune into it.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can you tell if you have sports suspension?

Originally Posted by wanneroo
I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 with 150K on it,,, Looking at the springs I see 3 paint dots, but don't know what they mean and before I get into replacing shocks and springs, would like to know what those dots signify or what code I might be looking for to show the car has sports suspension or not?...
There is a sticker with all the build-codes in the compartment that houses the spare tire. It is on the loser RH side of the body and can be cross-referenced with the Bentley shop manual (www.bentleypublishers.com) to determine the suspension type. Typically the designations are 1BA for standard suspension and 1BE for 'sport suspension'
The following users liked this post:
audi 888 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 with 150K on it and parts are wearing out quicker than I can replace them.

Just replaced all of the control arms on the front, tie rod ends, sway bar links, new brakes all around. Took it in for an alignment, got everything adjusted except the toe adjustment in the back is frozen solid so I've got my rear wheels pointing inward 2 inches. Also the suspension apparently is sagging.

Back when I bought the car in 2004, I bought it with a "sports package" and assumed the car had sports suspension. Looking at the springs I see 3 paint dots, but don't know what they mean and before I get into replacing shocks and springs, would like to know what those dots signify or what code I might be looking for to show the car has sports suspension or not?

I was looking at going with blauparts shocks package, but am wondering about what to do with the springs? Leave them or buy new. Mostly out there seems to be lowering springs, but I don't want to get too low due to snow clearance issues.

Mostly for now I just need to keep the car running and am willing to replace what parts are needed, but I don't want to sink an endless fortune into it.
If the car has the original red shocks they came with the Audi sport package, if they are black it's non sport.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. The shocks are black colored so I guess I have the regular suspension. The "sports package" that came on the car must have been a trim package or something. I didn't see the 1BA or 1BE codes on the sticker in the trunk so I'll have to look into it more to double check.

Honestly at the time I purchased the car I didn't give it much thought, as the car was the B5 that I wanted and with this car and the 98 A4 turbo I owned, I never had to bother with the suspension/steering except for the control arms on the 98.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no shortage of suspension options for the B5 platform. Depending on the type of driving you do and ride quality you can put up with, there are many choices to make. What has worked well for me is H&R springs with Bilstein sport shocks/struts.

Of course, as with any modification, bear in mind how any changes you make will affect other vehicle parts and systems.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help. The shocks are black colored so I guess I have the regular suspension. The "sports package" that came on the car must have been a trim package or something. I didn't see the 1BA or 1BE codes on the sticker in the trunk so I'll have to look into it more to double check.

Honestly at the time I purchased the car I didn't give it much thought, as the car was the B5 that I wanted and with this car and the 98 A4 turbo I owned, I never had to bother with the suspension/steering except for the control arms on the 98.
Sports package didn't include suspension for the 96-98 cars, so you were
misled.

Sports package dropped the car 20mm or so.

IIRC you could buy the sports steering wheel separately.

If you don't mind the current ride height, just replace the shocks if the springs aren't rusty. Not sure about the sagging, unless the spring is actually heavily corroded or broken that doesn't happen.

Even a set of Monroes would probably do (similar to OEM). You will need to re-do the alignment also.