A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help with a stereo problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a stereo problem.

I have a 2001 B5 with the Symphony unit. I have no sound coming from my rear speakers. Are the speakers most likely blown or do I have an amp powering them? If there is an amp, where is it located? All I've seen in the rear left corner of the trunk was a disc changer and a powered antenna box measuring 2"x3", black in color. Any help would be great.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How long has the rear audio been out? Do you have the BOSE audio system or regular speakers?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't think I have the Bose upgrade. The "Bose" logo is nowhere located on or around any of the speaker grills and head unit. I purchased the car a year ago and has been out since. I have just been so occupied by other projects.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going to piggy-back this one...I just bought mine. I have the bose upgrade. Should my battery die, there is a code I need? I didn't get it with the car. Can I find this somewhere else? Database somewhere?

thans
-scott
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Scott_boston
I'm going to piggy-back this one...I just bought mine. I have the bose upgrade. Should my battery die, there is a code I need? I didn't get it with the car. Can I find this somewhere else? Database somewhere?

thans
-scott
This I do know. Each radio has a specific four digit pin that needs to be entered once the battery dies, gets placed, or the stereo is unplugged. The only way you are able to receive that specific pin is to pay the dealership to scan your computer. Or you have a friend or know someone that has that "million dollar" scanner to do it for free.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also after people find the "magic code" it is comon to write it near the spare tire in the trunk. Check your car manual and in the trunk.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Actually you don't know.

Originally Posted by TL NUBS
This I do know. Each radio has a specific four digit pin that needs to be entered once the battery dies, gets placed, or the stereo is unplugged. The only way you are able to receive that specific pin is to pay the dealership to scan your computer. Or you have a friend or know someone that has that "million dollar" scanner to do it for free.
The dealer does not scan your computer. He removes the stereo and checks the serial number. He then goes online to the master computer back in Germany to get the code using his dealer service access code.

The magic code that is recorded in the trunk is also an "urban legend'. There is a sticker that is supposed to be peeled off when the dealer preps the car. The sticker is put in the car manual. Some dealers forget to do this so the sticker is still there, and a couple of dealers used a sharpie to hand write the code in the trunk because they thought it was a good idea.

The chances of you coming across one of these cars is pretty slim.

When I get my radio code I always write it on the radio frame. Dealer will charge anywhere from $25-125 to get the code for you.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiMick
The dealer does not scan your computer. He removes the stereo and checks the serial number. He then goes online to the master computer back in Germany to get the code using his dealer service access code.

The magic code that is recorded in the trunk is also an "urban legend'. There is a sticker that is supposed to be peeled off when the dealer preps the car. The sticker is put in the car manual. Some dealers forget to do this so the sticker is still there, and a couple of dealers used a sharpie to hand write the code in the trunk because they thought it was a good idea.

The chances of you coming across one of these cars is pretty slim.

When I get my radio code I always write it on the radio frame. Dealer will charge anywhere from $25-125 to get the code for you.
Then maybe you can help me with my problem. I can't figure out if my car is equipped with an amplifier or not. 2001 B5 with the symphony head unit. If it is equipped, where would I look for it? Any help would be much greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need access to a bentley manual.

The wiring is all detailed in the manual, if there's an amp it's usually under the rear shelf however it's possible that the symphony setup has the amp inside the unit (there's way more room).

you can use VAG.com to test the speakers I believe. That's where I would start.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/symphony.html
Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I'll do so.

Quick Reply: Help with a stereo problem.