A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heater Inop, Only Cold Air Blows HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Inop, Only Cold Air Blows HVAC

2001 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8L -

My beloved Audi Avant doesn't blow hot air of the HVAC system. Car runs great, no air bubbles in the cooling system. Both heater core hoses feeding through the firewall to heater core are hot when car is at normal operating temp, both top and bottom radiator hoses are are also hot to the touch. I was told to check the Temperature regulator Flap motor (v68) and when I adjust the HVAC control from cold to hot the motor moves the rod about an inch or more. The arm feels connected and seems to be moving properly, but no matter where I set the climate control I can't get much warm air. I haven't removed the entire system yet to check for blockage or a broken flap and before I do wanted to post in here and see if I am overlooking something. Thanks in advance for reading and any help you can offer-
Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audic5
2001 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8L -

My beloved Audi Avant doesn't blow hot air of the HVAC system. Car runs great, no air bubbles in the cooling system. Both heater core hoses feeding through the firewall to heater core are hot when car is at normal operating temp, both top and bottom radiator hoses are are also hot to the touch. I was told to check the Temperature regulator Flap motor (v68) and when I adjust the HVAC control from cold to hot the motor moves the rod about an inch or more. The arm feels connected and seems to be moving properly, but no matter where I set the climate control I can't get much warm air. I haven't removed the entire system yet to check for blockage or a broken flap and before I do wanted to post in here and see if I am overlooking something. Thanks in advance for reading and any help you can offer-
my heater core didnt work at all at 210k milliage so i took the hoses off and cleaner it out with hot water and blew it out with the air compressor and the results are warm air nothing hot but its better than before
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Audiholic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have the same problem each year with my 01 A4 Avant. I remove the hoses at the core inlet / outlet and flush both ways with water. Hot water works best. Also ensure the reserve / expansion tank is to the proper level
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

my personal experience with 186k on mine. Cleaned out SEVERAL times with HOT water and flush stuff and every thing else. All I can get is warm, barely. I can hear motor flaps working, and blower works....SO..

come summer im gonna have to do a new Heater Core in mine. Maybe its just too clogged up to work right anymore?!

Part cheap but its gonna be a fun job!

Hope that hot water flush BOTH ways helps...It seems to for 90% of us out there.