A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket?

Hello Audiworld,

1998 Audi a4 2.8L manual AwD.

I just did a major overhaul of my cooling system for the 115 degree summer temps. While I was there I replaced my oil and oil filter and the gaskets for my oil cooler and all of my oil and radiator hoses, expansion tank etc. i also replaced my thermostat, water pump and timing belt. drove the car 350 miles across I-10 and there was zero problems.

A few days after finishing the job I noticed smoke coming from my exhaust. I can't accurately determine the color because it's so thin. Smells like oil, but also sweet like burning coolant. I check my oil and there is no coolant mixing in with it and my coolant level has gone down from max ever so slightly which is leading me to believe that I have a head gasket issue. The smoke only comes out when am in 1st and 2nd gear. No smoke at idle or 3-5 gear regardless of speed. If I rev up to 3000 rpm there is some smoke but mostly only when it's in gear.

I have never driven the car redline hot, I drove about 3 miles with the temp gauge warmer then normal before I did the previous job. I hear that the head gaskets on the v6 go out rarely and since I have never put it in a situation where the gasket could fail but I don't know.

I have a misfire in cylander 4 and the spark plugs are right there on things to replace. I am also leaking oil from my cam seals. Oil is leaking down the side of my engine. This is the next biggest thing I want to address when I have the time and money.

However I read on the forums just now that if your cam seals weren't leaking bad but now they are can shortly after a timing belt replacement. I have never owned an Audi before and didn't know to replace them while doing the previous job.

The car drives 100% normal, I only noticed the smoke yesterday. Drove it about 10 miles since and the problem is sporadic but occurs most often when the engine is warmed up
And I am accelerating in 1st gear.

If I drive for a long time the smoke seems to go away which leads me to think its something with my oil leak. I have never had a blown gasket but if it was warped wouldn't I be constantly releasing coolant into the cylander at all speeds and therefore have consistent smoke in my exhaust?

Any help with diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

You can do a leakdown test if you want, but I think you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get yourself a gasket set from Jason at All German parts it has everything you need bar the head bolts.

I'd also suggest you take your head to a machine shop and have it lightly skimmed to ensure its flat.