A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine won't start

My son rolled over the audi I checked to see if the engine was damaged in the roll over and it started right up then a week or so later I tried and it won't start some one told my son there is a switch that shuts off the fuel in a rollover I have never heard of this does any one know about this.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an inertia switch that jars open in the event of an accident or rollover. Its possibly tweaked, but theres a lot of things that can cause an engine to not start shortly after a severe accident. All sorts of connections (vacuum, electrical, cooling) can pop loose, and then come off when attempting to start the vehicle. or shake off when the vehicles running. Does the car turn over? do you have a sputtering noise? do you have fuel pressure? The easiest way to tell if you tweaked the inertia switch is to turn the key forward but not on, and listen for the fuel pump to kick on. If it doesnt kick on it is very possible you messed with the I.S. To verify its the inertia switch, if the fuel pump doesnt prime, locate the fuel pump relay, jump terminals 30 and 87 or 87a on the fuse board. putting a paper clip in there should immediately kick on the fuel pump. But of course this is assuming the Inertia switch cuts power to the coil side of the relay, and not directly to the fuel pump. But I am fairly certain that it cuts power to the coil side of the relay, so a paperclip jump should kick on your fuel pump. When its jumped and the pump is running, try to start it. Let me know how it goes, I'm genuinely intrested.