A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Electrical Chaos (door locks and anti-theft)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Chaos (door locks and anti-theft)

I hate for my first post to be a problem, but unfortunately that's the way it is and i do have some questions. I just bought a mint 96 Audi A4 Quattro and while I'm not a complete newb about cars, Audi and German engineering are new to me. I have done many searches and noticed people with the same problems as me but i have yet to find my fix. With that said...

<Problem 1>
The power door locks worked great up until last week, now I can't get them to work at all

- All doors seem to lock automatically (inconsistenly - eventually) even though i don't lock it
- I can unlock only one door at a time (manually I don't have a key FOB it's missing out of my key - I've always locked it by sticking my key in the door)
- Horn no longer chirps when I lock (or attempt to unlock) any door
- I can only lock it if the car "ghost" locks it for me, or by pushing down hard on the actual mechanical door lock

<Problem 2>
The factory alarm (horn) goes off sporatically. Sometimes it just honks a couple times intermittently, other times it blares the alarm horn constantly and I have no way to disable it or turn it off. Even while I am driving, the horn will blare and the red flashing warning light blinks faintly above the climate controls. So I am forced to pull the battery when I have it in my driveway. I pulled the fuse to the steering wheel horn thinking I would get lucky, but nope it still keeps going. I was told not to cut the wires to the factory horn alarm because my car wouldn't start so I didn't even try to locate it

ARE THESE ISSUES CAUSED BY THE SAME THING? IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO BEFORE I DRIVE MY CAR TO AN AUDI DEALERSHIP 50 MILES AWAY AND LOSE MY *** IN REPAIR BILLS? ANY HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED, LIKE CAN REPLACE THE POWER DOOR LOCK MODULE OR SOMETHING AND PREVENT THIS ALARM HORN TOGETHER?? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

First check the power lock module in the trunk for water damage.

Next pull codes with VAG-COM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your insight. Now I am completely locked out of my trunk however. The double turn key doesn't work, i can't push the button to get the trunk to release at all. Even with the key inside the lock trying to release it...Lol. I feel defeated. I called the Audi dealer he asked me to look under the driver seat (push your seat back and pull the carpet up) and there should be the power door lock module under there. Before I do this I figured I would see if this is good information? I will have the VAG-COM codes once I can get it in front of a reader. I just need to find somebody with one now...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The lock (and window control) is in the trunk, passenger side behind the wheel well. Don't think it has ever been anyplace else in an A4. As far as getting into the trunk don't you have the fold down rear seats?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thehox
what driver 4 driver and Norton said, the CCM is located in the trunk in the well behind the wheel. CCM is convenience control module it controls all that ails your vehicle. IIRC Put key in trunk lock, lock opening where key goes in should be straight up and down, then turn key to right then push key and button in and trunk should unlock