A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Driver's side cv axle unbolted from tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's side cv axle unbolted from tranny??

Ok, while driving yesterday, as I came up to a stoplight, I heard a loud noise from under the car. When I went to accelerate from the stoplight, I couldn't. Motor was running fine, but nothing going to the wheels. However, my speedometer would go up when I hit the gas.

Checked under the car, and five bolts were missing from where the cv axle bolts to the transmission, and the other one snapped. So the axle was not connected to the tranny anymore, which is obviously why I was unable to accelerate.

I bolted it back up yesterday, and drove it around the block, and everything seemed fine.

My only concern is what the hell caused that to happen? Just loose bolts, or is there something inside the tranny that caused this to happen?

Anything else I should be concerned about, or just make sure that its torqued properly, and it'll be alright?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside of someone leaving the bolts loose, I have no idea what would cause that. I'll be interested to hear.

Has someone worked around that area in the last couple months?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Outside of someone leaving the bolts loose, I have no idea what would cause that. I'll be interested to hear.

Has someone worked around that area in the last couple months?
I'd suspect the same thing - Not sure if those bolts are suppose to get lock tight
Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think its becasue of the new bolts. i was stuck in stop and go traffic. and the shop just tighten them up
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I've heard of this happening before, but these bolts wouln't loosen if people would just use threadlocker on them. If you are sure the things are torqued to spec, it should be fine, but in the future use a "blue" removable threadlocker such as Loctite. Use this also on caliper bolts, suspension fasteners, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hypothesis

Under load, the inner CV is failing, causing a miniature binding push and pull on the differential (like air chisel). This domino effect creates play in the inner CV aging gasket and mechanical oscillation (vibration) loosens the bolts.

My left rear inner CV failed 2 yrs ago. The car drove great on dry days but, when it rained or snowed, the back end randomly twitches left or right. I hoisted the car. There was no leaks, no loose inner bolts and all wheels rotated normally. After about 5 months during winter, I checked again and found the left inner CV bolts loose. I dissembled the inner CV and the ball bearings had miniature indents and outer CV where fine. Hence, that’s why my hypothesis is great.

As a result, I removed all the inner CV bolts and installed with loctite. I don’t want to be stuck especially, during winter.

Last edited by joloya; 03-06-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

9 years of drag racing and not once have I had the axle bolts back out, I dont use loctite.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joloya
Hypothesis

Under load, the inner CV is failing, causing a miniature binding push and pull on the differential (like air chisel). This domino effect creates play in the inner CV aging gasket and mechanical oscillation (vibration) loosens the bolts.
Nice one. Not sure that's what happened here, but that theory could make some sense.