A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Do all these other turbo upgrades help that much???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all these other turbo upgrades help that much???

Blow off valves, boost gague, boost controlers. Are they worth the time, money and clutter on a stock turbo?<p>2000 1.8t QM
Kamie Sport Grill
ASA IS 17"
De-badged rear
K&N Filter (coming)
Eurolite bulbs (coming)
Clear Corner mod (thinking about it)
Chip (GIAC or Neuspeed???)
Old 09-12-2000, 11:24 AM

Default I would definitely get..........

an upgraded BPV not a blow off valve and a boost gauge. Especially if you are chipping the car. I have no experience with using a boost controller.

Boost Gauge Kit: ~$115 (www.awe-tuning.com)
You'll have to call. It is not on the site.

Both = about ~$200 or so. Depends upon which valve you go with.<p>Ed
99.5 1.8TQMS, APR v3.0, APR Exhaust, K&N, MM Spyders, LLtek Induction Kit, MC BPV
Old 09-12-2000, 11:30 AM
adc
AudiWorld Member

Default BPV might help, the rest, not.

Some say the BPV helped their engines run smoother, some say they don't actually need it. Maybe it depends on how well your stock BPV works with the chip.

All the rest does not help at all perfromance-wise - gauge is just for show, and I believe the boost controller is no good in the 1.8T, since the turbo's boost is already controlled via the ECU.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong,

adc
Old 09-12-2000, 11:50 AM

Default BOV not much; others maybe

Even though the 1.8T's wastegate is computer controlled, it's still fed by a boost pressure hose from the compressor that tells it when to open. If you install a boost controller (manual or electronic) in between that feed, you can let the turbo build up more pressure before the ECU will open the wastegate.

This is where your boost gauge will be really important. I don't know what PSI the stock 1.8T runs, but I would be cautious to raise the boost w/o first getting a gauge to tell you just how much you're raising it. Most importantly, find some dyno time and slowly increase the boost while listening for any pinging.

A cautionary note about manual boost controllers: while they're fairly inexpensive (and you can probably make your own), they do not compensate for ambient temperature changes. This can lead to boost spikes and other nasty gremlins. Electronic ones like Apexi's AVCR (I think that's what it's called) can learn your car's power curve and compensate for any such changes.

Oh yeah, about the blow off valve: don't these cars come with recirculation valves already?