A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Coolant pouring out......

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant pouring out......

Why do things always go wrong when it's snowing? Or on a holiday weekend? Or both?!?

My wife's 98 A4Q2.8 is refusing to retain it's coolant.

I pour liquid into the resevoir, and 10 seconds later it's draining from the bottom of the engine. From the oil cooler/filter area along the front of the oil pan to where the lower (metal) coolant line ends.

Engine off or on, makes no difference.

I can't see where it's coming from. I replaced the water pump when I did the timing belt about 25K ago. I shoved my hand over the oil cooler and didn't feel anything dripping on it, so I don't think it's the pump.

Has anyone seen the lower pipe fail? Or is this thing becoming incontinent in it's old age?

Thanks & Happy New Year
Ted
Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yours is easy, put the rad support into service mode and see, I have an oil leak in the same area and its impossible to see where its leaking from. I'll wait till summer then change all the oil seals and gaskets.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=shredr;23905348]Why do things always go wrong when it's snowing? Or on a holiday weekend? Or both?!?

My wife's 98 A4Q2.8 is refusing to retain it's coolant.

I pour liquid into the resevoir, and 10 seconds later it's draining from the bottom of the engine. From the oil cooler/filter area along the front of the oil pan to where the lower (metal) coolant line ends.

I just had the same problem on my B5 about 2 months ago. First of all, it's not easy simply because you need to put the front end in the service position. For most people, this is not easy. Never the less, if you can do that, it's still not easy. It's very tight down there, even in the service position, but it's doable. Just take your time. The hardest part is trying to maneuver the hose clamps on that heater hose just because there is very little room. If you remove the radiator fan, it would be much easier, but you need a special wrench for that. Likely, there is a leak coming from a small hose that runs from the oil cooler to the pipe you're referring to. The hose is only about 5" long and costs only about $8 from the dealership. It attaches to a 45 degree branch coming off the pipe. This hose rubs against another and eventually wears a slit in the hose, causing it to leak like like a sieve. It was not easy for me to find this hose for some reason, so I ended up getting it at the dealership. Of course, your problem could be different, so don't buy a hose until you disassemble your front end and find the leak.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

What water pump did you use? I replaced the factory pump with a Graf pump while doing the timing belt replacement, it lasted only 30,000 miles - and this seems to be a common problem (do a search). Coolant leaks out the front of the pump, drips down the front of the engine. Got to replace the pump again, this time with a genuine Audi part ($$$).