A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Went and checked out a "land Rover only speciality shop" today..... I am teh glutton for punishment!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went and checked out a "land Rover only speciality shop" today..... I am teh glutton for punishment!

I really liked the lifted Disco's. 2-3 inches and some moderate tires......... cool. Comfy, cozy, plenty of creature comforts, doors close with a *thud* and on my test drive the check engine light, and abs light only came on a few times. Also the motor only died ONCE!

Sweet.

I kid I kid.

I am now looking for one... the guys there don't really sell them - just serious mods and restoration on the older "series" and Defenders.

The one newer "Disco" I drove (a 2000) belonged to a guy that worked there and he *may* be selling but needed to talk w/the wifey about it. NICE truck, very solid and EXACTLY how I'd want mine set-up. Small lift, lockers all 'round, nice tires and heavy steel bumpers both ends.

I'd yank the troublesome V8 and related electronics out and throw my all mechanical direct injected Isuzu 4cyl 3.8L turbo diesel in it (waiting and ready to go in right now!) she'd be a sweet rig.... the only electronics stock on it would be the climate control and light switches etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man, I've gotta say it; I cant believe you're selling the Avant!

Are you sure you want to get rid of her, after all the hard work you've put into it to make it the way you want it?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I'm not sure.... it really kills me - I lub the Avant. Long------->

I love the car, always have and always will.

In the 21 years I have owned cars I have had (at last count a few years ago mind you) about 38 different ones. That should give you some insight into my issues. ;-P

This Avant is actually the LONGEST I have ever owned any car that drove down the road. If you count the first silver Avant this is WAAAAAAY longer. That says a LOT.

Do I *want* to sell - no. If I want to buy something else do I really *have* to sell her - no. However I didn't get to where I am now by being completely impractical with $$ either. If I really am going to pull the trigger on a Rover the Avant will go to a good home so as to free up some practical "fun money".

I will say however it WILL go to a good home and ONLY a good home. It will make someone very very happy, just as it has done for me.

My trouble is that once i get a "project" to a point of being done I start thinking about other things: TDI into my Avant swaps, Z06 massive HP V8 into the Avant swap (one of those engines in my fathers garage collecting dust - was going in his street-rod but he seems to have forgotten that one as the motor in it works fine.) The list goes on...

FWIW I may well pick up my friends 96-97? 12V sedan just to play with. Maybe throw the TDI in that, or ??? Whatever happens I will still be working on several of these Audi's as well as Dub's for my customers so I will not be going anywhere on the boards - You guys are all like family.

Maybe for the next GTG or Waterfest/H2o I'll just have to show up in the converted diesel Rover. She'll be a mean British beast. ;-P
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

HEY! Just noticed: That's my Avant in your sig - the B5 FAQ background. *how did that get there?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, If I told you that; I'd have to....

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2512152.phtml">give you the link to this post.</a>
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahhh, I. C. - I feel so honored.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A LRover with ricer deisel power...you have a sick mind...you must like Benny Hill

most possibly in drag .. lol...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The 4BD1T is a rockin, smooth pretty quiet diesel. Should turn out plenty of power &amp; 30+MPG
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Will be interesting to see.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Those gears are always turning in your head, aren't they?

Sounds like you have alot in the air right now, it will be interesting to see what transpires in your quest for a new(er)? diesel rig.

Quick Reply: Went and checked out a "land Rover only speciality shop" today..... I am teh glutton for punishment!