A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clicking while turn - cv joint or axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking while turn - cv joint or axle?

Hi guys,

So I get a clicking/clacking sound when I turn my wheels - while rolling of course. Left or right, it clicks. Now, on my old vw that meant the cv joints were either in trouble or just the cv boots were cracked and dry, no grease on the joint. Kind of a pain to address, but not a big deal.

Anyway, I went to get a whole separate issue diagnosed recently, and the guy told me both my axles needed replacing. I looked him in the eye to see if he was messing with me, but he was serious. So i asked him to show me. He pulled my front wheels off (I was getting tires put on while i was at it) and points at the torn cv boot, sans grease of course, and says the entire axle assembly must be replaced on both sides. Which of course he can get axles for the low, low price of $130 each, plus an hour of labor per side.

Does this make sense, or is it really just the cv boot (or joint) that needs replacing? It just seems kind of drastic to replace two axles.

B5A4 1998 fwd 2.8v6 (30v)

Thanks for any help or advice!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These days you can get rebuilt half shafts for the price of a CV joint. Are rebuilt CV joints on those axles as good? Debateable. But it a little easier, and maybe cheaper.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where can i find these rebuilt axles? Right now i was looking on ecs and comparing prices, but i just don't are that i have to spend $100 on each axle when all i have to do is buy a couple of cv joints or rebuild kits. That's really what I'm trying to determine- how far down this rabbit hole do i need to go.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rock Auto has them for $60 believe it or not.

http://www.rockauto.com/
Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SenaTTor
Hi guys,

So I get a clicking/clacking sound when I turn my wheels - while rolling of course. Left or right, it clicks. Now, on my old vw that meant the cv joints were either in trouble or just the cv boots were cracked and dry, no grease on the joint. Kind of a pain to address, but not a big deal.

Anyway, I went to get a whole separate issue diagnosed recently, and the guy told me both my axles needed replacing. I looked him in the eye to see if he was messing with me, but he was serious. So i asked him to show me. He pulled my front wheels off (I was getting tires put on while i was at it) and points at the torn cv boot, sans grease of course, and says the entire axle assembly must be replaced on both sides. Which of course he can get axles for the low, low price of $130 each, plus an hour of labor per side.

Does this make sense, or is it really just the cv boot (or joint) that needs replacing? It just seems kind of drastic to replace two axles.

B5A4 1998 fwd 2.8v6 (30v)

Thanks for any help or advice!
the clicking comes from the joint. If you think you can rebuild the joint for cheaper than purchasing a new axle then go for it. Most people change the axle because they find it more economical than rebuilding the joints or changing the joints out .........