A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clicking/rattling/knocking noise when clutch is pushed down

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking/rattling/knocking noise when clutch is pushed down

Noticed yesterday. Same today. The car is a 1999 B5 Quattro Avant with a manual trans. The noise comes only when the clutch pedal is pushed down.

After a bit searching, it's the clutch release bearing. I used to push down the clutch pedal at stop that kills this bearing.

The question now is: Is it possible to replace the clutch release bearing without dropping the entire clutch?

Any input? Thanks

Last edited by a4avant99; 05-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a4avant99
Noticed yesterday. Same today. The car is a 1999 B5 Quattro Avant with a manual trans. The noise comes only when the clutch pedal is pushed down.

After a bit searching, it's the clutch release bearing. I used to push down the clutch pedal at stop that kills this bearing.

The question now is: Is it possible to replace the clutch release bearing without dropping the entire clutch?

Any input? Thanks
I don't think there is any vehicle that allows that. The gearbox input shaft passes thru the center of the release bearing.

I could also be the dual mass flywheel starting to fall apart.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

How long it likely last if I do not replace it? Will it cause other damages except for the clutch/flywheel?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How long it likely last if I do not replace it?
What time is it now?

Will it cause other damages except for the clutch/flywheel?
If the bearing or flywheel fails everything internal to the bell-housing is at risk. It can put some strain on the transmission, my co-worker's car broke it's transmission 2 days after the clutch was replaced.

$$$ day!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

+1 If it's the throwout bearing, you will be stranded very soon. If it's something else, you will be stranded and be facing a much bigger parts purchase.

No way around it, you have a clutch job to do.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default had exactly the same issue last winter - beware these cars have different symptoms

Hi,
Do not rush to blame the release bearing. Although it can be that one as well, I would try something easier first.

1. you have to take the transmission off to take the release bearing out.
2. a clutch slave cylinder is a strong candidate to be checked

My story was as yours. Only thing, was that at some point at a stop sign the clutch could not engage. Fine after that, but the noise was still there.

Changed the pressure plate, cluch, flywheel and bearing. Didn't change the pilot bearing though, though maybe I should have. The noise was still there even after changing clutch. BTW, the clutch disc was having still 1 mm to the rivets. Old pressure plate seemed to be fine.

I changed the clutch slave cylinder and the noise was gone. I had/I still have challenges in understanding "how come", but just FYI.

============================================
Note, the release bearing can go bad equally faulty. To isolate the problem is bit hard, and changing the slave cylinder without transmission off is a nightmare.......
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the throw out bearing is out of line. have a friend or whomever knows how to do clutch works and realign the throw out bearing. But your best solution is replace the throw out bearing its dirt cheap but labor is the one that will hurt your wallet.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
the throw out bearing is out of line.
I've never heard of that. What does that mean?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtroxel
this happens alot to stick shift cars.if the throwout bearing moves slightly to a different angle/worn out it will cause this type of situation. so whoever replaces a clutch they would also replace the throwout bearing.

*the cause of a throwout bearing being distroyed is having the clutch pressed while at a stop* thats the only thing that i can think of.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Basically BS.

Carry on chaps!

Quick Reply: Clicking/rattling/knocking noise when clutch is pushed down