A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Charging system failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system failure

Here I go again on my 98 A4 2.8.

On my way home from work the other night, the battery and brake lights on my dash started to dimly light up. The alternator had been making a high pitched squeaky sound for a while and so I had it replaced this past saturday. The battery is only about a year or so old. When I woke up sunday, the car was dead. Thought I left something on. Jumped it, and drove it throughout the day. Woke up today (Monday) and it was dead again. Jumped it. drove it about 30 or so miles and on my way home, the same 2 lights turned back on. And I was running no accessories or lights. Everything was off. And the indicator on the battery says it's fine.

Any thoughts on what to check next?
Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lumpyd
Here I go again on my 98 A4 2.8.

On my way home from work the other night, the battery and brake lights on my dash started to dimly light up. The alternator had been making a high pitched squeaky sound for a while and so I had it replaced this past saturday. The battery is only about a year or so old. When I woke up sunday, the car was dead. Thought I left something on. Jumped it, and drove it throughout the day. Woke up today (Monday) and it was dead again. Jumped it. drove it about 30 or so miles and on my way home, the same 2 lights turned back on. And I was running no accessories or lights. Everything was off. And the indicator on the battery says it's fine.

Any thoughts on what to check next?
What I would do is have the charging system checked out again. If the car had been running off the battery previously, then it could have damaged the battery. It is a year or so old, does that mean it might be three years old? If the system checks out good, I would disconnect the negative cable overnight, and see if the battery is good the next day. If it is, then you probably need to check for a battery drain. Cheers
Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wondered where my reply went!
Look in your other post on the 30V forum...
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for a grounding problem.