A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok more to add...checked the fuses in the door panel, they are all good. Are there more than that under the kick panel? Also I tried arming the alarm and opening the door. The weird thing is the alarm doesn't go off if I do that on the drivers door, but all the other doors do it. The red LED light by the lock remains flashing but it is unlocked and open, no alarm. Car disables alarm normally.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a starter relay, but only for automatics.

Your voltage wouldn't necessarily drop if the solenoid was stuck, because the starter armature wouldn't be powered, only the solenoid coil.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an automatic, so I guess I would have this relay. Still need to figure out how to reach up there and test the voltage to the solenoid. Ok, I understand what you are saying about the solenoid voltage drop.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FIGURED IT OUT!! I measure the resistance from the negative of the battery to the intake manifold and measured 100 ohms, I was thinking this was too high. This told me there was a bad ground to the motor. I disconnected the ground to the motor and cleaned up the connector, reattached it and walla. The car starts great now.

This is a good trick for anyone trying to trouble shoot their car electrically right away.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a hint for no start.
Check the clutch switch.
If it is not working properly, it assumes that you are not pushing down the clutch pedal and will not crank.

Also, the alarm sometimes goes off if the rear trunk button and lock mechanism is flooded with water.
The alarm switch is in there and the water intermittently shorts the switch and makes the alarm system think the trunk is opened.

Mine did it for a few days and when it dried out it was ok again.
You will notice that the pip does not sound when the system sees an open trunk. IE when you lock the car and all is ok, the alarm will pip once.
If any doors are open, the alarm will not pip.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Good job on the troubleshooting!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I am having precisely the same problem, the clicking sound seems to be an accuator on the throttle body. Which ground was it that you cleaned, can you give me an idea of where it is under the hood, i checked the one that the neg battery terminal is connected and it seemed to be clean. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Before trying to tighten things. Just take a jumper cable from the negative side of you battery and clip it on to the alternator, this will ground the motor. See if it starts. If it starts you have a bad negative on the motor. There is a negative cable on the bottom of the motor in the starter area.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well tried that and no go, additionally there is one difference in our cars mine is a standard. When I turn the key it springs back as it is supposed to. Should my next step be a test light?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm assuming you tried jumping it. Yea I would try the test light first. That is the best place to start. If it lights up, replace the solenoid/starter.

Quick Reply: Car won't start!