A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!

I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T and it won't start. There is no crank, nothing, when I try turning the key. The battery is good and I've tried jumping it. What's next, starter??? Car has 93K and the battery has died a couple of times because my alarm goes off in the rain for some reason, but I was able to jump it the next morning.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

A little more info please. How about the other electric powered things; lights, radio, gauges? When you turn the key to start, can you hear the fuel pump run? (have someone listen with the rear seat cussion lifted). One of the simpler solutions would be the ignition switch.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The lights, gauges are working normally and are bright. Just got back from testing and charging the battery it's good. The only thing I can hear is a relay faintly click in the dash or near the firewall when I try and start. No rapid clicking from the starter. Car has new plugs, coil packs and many other parts. I did find about 3 inches of water under the battery but it was because the drain plug was clogged. The water is gone now, but still won't start.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Doesn't the ignition switch usually stay in the on position if it fails?? Looking around online is starting to point at the starter...just can't see how it would fail all of sudden...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The switch could have burned contacts. Connect a test light to the starter solenoid terminal (keep the original wire attached). Try to start, and if the light goes on, the starter is at fault. If no light, then the starter is probably OK, but the starter circuit has a fault.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what about putting a multimeter on the contacts? I don't have a test light...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you lock the car using the remote? if so cold also be a alarm issue. try arming and disarming the alarm, also try setting the alarm off, put a window down and open the door with alarm active. then see if the alarm disarms properly and try to start the car.
basically you could have about 3 main possibilities, ign switch (generally but not always you can test by seeing if everything else works with the key on)
starter and or relay,
but a good place to start is with a test light on the starter! then check all fuses and relays and alarm!
good luck if you have Vag check for codes
or alarm
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can use a multimeter, just remember to keep the starter wire attached to the solenoid terminal, so there is the normal resistance present. If the wire was disconnected from the terminal, you could measure 12V on the wire, but still have too much resistance from a bad connection or ignition switch contact for the starter to work.

First use your DVM to measure the resistance of the solenoid coil to ground. Disconnect the starter wire and put one probe here, the other to grounded metal. The resistance would be a few ohms IMO.

Next reconnect the starter wire and set the DVM for volts. With someone turning the key to start, measure between the starter's solenoid terminal and ground. If you get nearly battery voltage, you've probably got a stuck solenoid. If the voltage is much less than battery voltage, or near zero, there is a bad connection somewhere (like the ignition switch).
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok thanks, I'll check that. Does anyone know if there is a starter relay? Here's the thing. When I go to start the car the voltage on the dash doesn't drop at all. I would think if the starter was stuck the voltage would drop because it was trying to turn the starter?

Its a pain to get to, and don't really have anyone right now who can start my car while I try to meter it.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also I VAG COM'd the car, no code. Just that the voltage was low. But that was probably from disconnecting the battery. All else was normal.

Quick Reply: Car won't start!