A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cam adjuster chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam adjuster chipped?

So I took my car to the dealer to have the oil sludge problem looked at as this is what I was told was the problem on my car from another local shop. I took it there and they said there was some oil sludge but not enough to be covered and they also told me that they found a small chip out of a cam adjuster while they were in there and wanted $850 to fix it. Needless to say I dont have the money right now so I declined the work and drove off after paying $250 for a gasket and labor. My question is, how bad of an idea is it to be running my car in this situation as I have not had any problems running wise since Ive bought the car. After this latest rip off I am more inclined to believe that the adjuster is fine and they just want my money. Also how much sludge is enough sludge to be covered on this lawsuit? Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how many miles on the car? the chip in the cam adjuster could lead total destruction of the cam tensioner pads. i assume this is what is chipped. from what i have heard, the pieces banging around in there could lead to damaged valves.

if the timing belt was not done and you have over 80000 miles i would seriously consider a timing belt kit and fixing that cam tensioner.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In all seriousness, I wouldn't even turn the key on that car again. I bought a B5 Passat with a bad motor. That is exactly how it failed. The cam tensioner guides broke, intake valves hit pistons, you can imagine the rest.

This picture will show what's happening. Note the difference between the top blue box where the guide is complete, and the bottom blue box where the guide is just gone.

Here are the pieces I dug out of the head. You can see wear marks where the chain ran on the tensioner without the guide....for a few revolutions any way.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Second. BTDT.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The motor only has 65 k on it and I already did the timing belt and all that but damn it this thing is a money pit. I guess ill just have to save up for a few month and hope this thing doesn't destroy my car. Thanks for the updates. So does 850 seem reasonable to do the job?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxtrot14
The motor only has 65 k on it and I already did the timing belt and all that but damn it this thing is a money pit. I guess ill just have to save up for a few month and hope this thing doesn't destroy my car. Thanks for the updates. So does 850 seem reasonable to do the job?
If that tensioner goes your car is scrap!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you go to ECS, they want $480 just for the part. Dealer is probably more. So $850 might be right.

If you can use a wrench, it's not the worst job in the world. And there's a few DIY's around to walk you through it (one here somewhere I believe, too lazy to look).

The Audi gods are in control. Don't anger them by driving that car.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found the part on ecs for the 1.8t for $207 genuine Audi. Guess I'll take a look at the DIY. Hopefully I can do this myself. Thanks for the responses everyone. Luckily I'm still up at school so I dont really need to drive my car much (riding a bike saves gas anyway). But just to clarify, the Cam Tensioner is the same thing as the Adjuster? I'm not sure why they refer to it as the adjuster because I can't find that part anywhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy just the feet for this on Ebay for $80. I just put these in my mom's car and the feet snapped on fine, like new again. Blauparts also sells a valve cover kit that includes the feet I believe.

Actually, I just looked and Blauparts is cheaper for the kit with the valve cover gasket, cam seals, etc. than getting the feet on Ebay. Here:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....d=GF21005%2D1A

$65 or so and you're in and out.

The entire part from the dealer is $650-750 I believe.

If the tensioner itself is chipped and not the plastic feet...which I doubt...then you would wanna get the $207 part.

Last edited by jseklund; 05-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So I contacted a cool dude in my hometown and we tackled

the job. For $500 and a couple afternoons, tensioner=replaced. Here's a pic of the chip in the tensioner just for the hell of it. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cam adjuster chipped?