A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Blower Motor Install HOW?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor Install HOW?

Hello,

I have a 96 A4 2.8 Quattro, and i need to replace the blower motor. I have purchased one online, a VINO....it looks pretty much like the stock Valeo OEM unit, apart from the electrical connections are on top of the motor instead of beside it...

My question is how is the best way to get the glove box off to access the blower motor...my OEM has pretty much had it now...noisy and works intermitantly..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 30 minute install....

-Remove sidepanel of dash on the right side (pops off)
-Open glove box and get everything out.
-Look under glove compartment area and undo 3-4 screws holding glove box to dash support.
-Undo 2 screws on the right side of dash (under that cover you took off before)
-Take out glove box by making it flop down be releasing the rollers on each side.
-This will give you space to see the blower.
-Undo torx screws holding blower motor in place.
-Remove and replace with new blower.
-Test blower by turning on car and A/C
-Put together as you took it apart.
-Done

P.S. I've had 5 beers in the last 3 hours, no dinner. :-)
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the 96 it's easier if you remove the passenger airbag lower support bracket as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: 30 minute install....

thank you for the details...shall have a go at it..
Will post my results....thanks

Gary
Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Issues to look forward to

1. It's not exactly a 30 minute job on a 1996 car the first time you do it; do as AudiMick says and take out the small airbag support piece that's solidly in the way. Don't worry too much about messing up the fan blade as you pull the old part out - you're junking it, right? Be more careful putting the new part in.

2. The first time I did this job, I ordered the part from a well-respected supplier who offered an "OEM" part a a very good price; what arrived was not the Valeo part but a no-label motor (couldn't tell whether it was made in China, Mexico or eastern Europe, it had no label at all, and a plain brown cardboard box). Most of the motor looked identical to the old part, but the electrical contacts were different; after installing the part I pushed the wires on to the motor's electrical connector and one of the contacts retracted into the motor - oh, no! Using inappropriate tools like a dental pick I was able to retrieve the contact and get the thing connected, the fan worked. A few days later, after a large temperature drop, the unit started howling loudly until it warmed up. I called the supplier, demanded and received a new Valeo part - and got to do the job again. I measured the Valeo part vs. the no-name part side-by-side and observed that the no-name squirel-cage fan protruded slightly further into the heater housing, which caused it to contact the heater housing at certain temperatures. I'm concerned that you might get to do this job twice with your part as well.......
Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: On the 96 it's easier if you remove the passenger airbag lower support bracket as well.

what's the procedure for an '01?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Blower Motor Questions

Hey AudiWorld, I am in the process of doing the same thing as far as replacing my blower motor. The farthest I have gotten was just taking off the end cap. Could someone post up or email me some pics of what to do? Illustrating it for me works a little bit better. Also does anyone here suggest a certain website to order a blower motor from that is inexpensive and also quality? I've seen blower motors by makers such as Valeo & Febi. The Febi seems to be the same as Valeo although the difference in price is cheaper w/ the Feb blower motor. Also would I have to switch out my resister when changing my blower motor? I know these are a lot of questions but I'm just trying to get it right lol. Thanks Audi World
Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RojoA4Quattro
Also does anyone here suggest a certain website to order a blower motor from that is inexpensive and also quality?
I don't think inexpensive and quality co-exist for this blower motor. Last time I went cheap, I paid close to $100 for one. It lasted 6 months and was noisy the whole time. Then I paid close to $200. That was quieter and is still in the 96 I sold to my neighbor.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

quality owns quantity....when it comes to cars.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this post, if you cant see it make an account.

Its a detailed How-To in my language, replacing blower motor. It has plenty of pictures .

maybe i`ll make a how-to guide if a moderator thinks its usefull and there arent any yet.
I got pictures...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower Motor Install HOW?