A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bad clunk when off and on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad clunk when off and on the gas

I've researched this problem for a while, and I haven't turned up anything.

Basically, if I'm on and off the gas around 40-50mph (usually in heavy traffic to and from work) there's a heavy clunk coming from what sounds and feels like just behind the right front wheel. I realize sounds can fake you out sometimes, based on acoustics...but I really think I have the area pinpointed.

I used to feel a LOT of slop in the drivetrain along with a clunk coming from under the back seat. I have replaced the transmission mounts and the rear diff mount, and that portion has gone away. I have also replaced the snub mount in the front.

If I'm maintaining speed up a slight grade and then let off the gas quickly, the clunk is really more of a thud. It's almost like the torque converter isn't letting go quickly enough....but the transmission NEVER slips, and all the symptoms of a bad torque converter are not present.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem? The only thing left (that I know of) is the left and right motor mounts and the subframe bolts.

'99 A4 1.8T Quattro Tip
Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OH, and if I'm accelerating in passing gear and let off the gas, the clunk is NOT there. It's only when I'm at lower RPMs.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
I've researched this problem for a while, and I haven't turned up anything.

Basically, if I'm on and off the gas around 40-50mph (usually in heavy traffic to and from work) there's a heavy clunk coming from what sounds and feels like just behind the right front wheel. I realize sounds can fake you out sometimes, based on acoustics...but I really think I have the area pinpointed.

I used to feel a LOT of slop in the drivetrain along with a clunk coming from under the back seat. I have replaced the transmission mounts and the rear diff mount, and that portion has gone away. I have also replaced the snub mount in the front.

If I'm maintaining speed up a slight grade and then let off the gas quickly, the clunk is really more of a thud. It's almost like the torque converter isn't letting go quickly enough....but the transmission NEVER slips, and all the symptoms of a bad torque converter are not present.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem? The only thing left (that I know of) is the left and right motor mounts and the subframe bolts.

'99 A4 1.8T Quattro Tip
I'd start looking at some suspension components and/or drive line cv joints
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This may or may not help: I just replaced the cv axle assembly in the front driver's side due to similar symptoms. The outer boot on the assembly had ripped and the bearings fell out causing a clunk on deceleration. The noise turned into a slight shake before it was just replaced. It only happened at lower RPMs (30ish mph and under) due to centrifugal force.

Check to see if you can notice any grease along the wheel (torn boot).
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 97AuA4di
This may or may not help: I just replaced the cv axle assembly in the front driver's side due to similar symptoms. The outer boot on the assembly had ripped and the bearings fell out causing a clunk on deceleration. The noise turned into a slight shake before it was just replaced. It only happened at lower RPMs (30ish mph and under) due to centrifugal force.

Check to see if you can notice any grease along the wheel (torn boot).
I replaced the CV axles about 3 months ago. The problem existed before the replacement.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anybody else got some insight as to what could be the cause? Again, the clunk is only under lower RPMs, when the car is somewhat under strain...imagine going up a slight grade in too low a gear and then letting off the gas to slow down.

If the situation is right, it sometimes feels like it's lurching as if it was a manual tranny with a newbie driver behind the wheel.

It accelerates hard, and the engine doesn't surge when pulling a hill.

Could any of this be caused by loose subframe bolts?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you find the problem? If yes, can you post it.

Thanks