A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

97 Audi A4 2.8 engine temp. too high or broken coolant sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Audi A4 2.8 engine temp. too high or broken coolant sensor?

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums, and I have a 97 Audi A4 2.8 that I bought back in February of this year from a private owner on CL with only approx. 88,000 miles on it. Last month in May, we had one of our first really hot days (Boston) and since then, the coolant light has been flashing (and oddly no infamous warning tones to go with it, not sure if I should be glad or if I should fix it bc I never knew these existed haha). It's moving (the wave-looking things), and the manual indicates that it means the engine temp. is too high, but when I click the auto-check system **** it says to check the coolant level, which is sitting at about halfway in the tank. The gauge in the car is reading at halfway too, and doesn't really move much or waiver from that spot once the car is warmed up. Possibly the sensor is gone? Any help is much appreciated, and pictures are attached for reference!

(She's a sweet car besides having a few issues that I'd love to sink money into down the line! Only other issues that she has is the muffler [which the car has had a few previous owners so not too sure if the muffler has ever been replaced] bc it's gotten more audible recently and the check engine light is on [prev. owner said it would go on and off], as well as a few minor electrical, interior [prev. owner had young kids, go figure] and exterior cosmetic issues. Is she still a fixer upper, you think? She drove great until the muffler issue became more apparent, and I'd hate to not see the car a year from now! She suits me well and she's got low mileage! Senior in college, only commuting 15 miles to and from school in total daily during SY, don't travel far distances often, MAX 50 miles a few times a year and mostly local, daily driving for work, etc.)

Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by necxo
...when I click the auto-check system **** it says to check the coolant level, which is sitting at about halfway in the tank.
"halfway in the tank" is about right for turning on the low-coolant warning. Fill with distilled water to the MAX mark, which is right above the thick seam which goes all around the reservoir.