A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Autocross potential of a 2001 1.8 FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross potential of a 2001 1.8 FWD?

Although the primary use of my '99.5 A4 1.8TQ is commuting, my primary concern has been how it performs as autocross car and I've invested a fair amount of time and money in it to that end.

This weekend, however, I was offered a base-model 2001 A4 1.8 FWD with 55k -- the only option is metallic paint! -- at a good, but not great price ($9850), and as I've been considering converting my Quattro to FWD in the interest of saving weight (and because at the power levels I'm making, I'm not absolutely convinced that I truly need AWD), I must admit that I'm tempted to buy this one and sell my present one.

Unfortunately, the car's 700 miles from me so I won't be able to drive it until I fly there to bring it home, and since I've never driven a FWD A4 or for that matter, a 2001, I have some concerns about how the dbw and beam axle setup will affect its autocross performance.

Has anyone ever directly compared a '99.5 1.8 TQ to an '01 1.8 FWD? Assuming that I install a Quaife LSD, will there be a significant traction problem at K04 power levels? Does the rear axle behave well enough under hard cornering or will substantial modifications be needed to make it work properly?

I realize I'm shooting both in the dark and from the hip here, but I only have until Wednesday to make up my mind since the car will be turned back into the leasing company on Thursday if I pass on it. If I thought I could resell the car if I didn't like it, I'd simply buy it and test if for myself, but the odds of finding a buyer (besides someone crazy like myself!) don't strike me as good enough to place a $10k bet...

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here can offer you advice since a large % here are ....

Quattro (except me). I have never been to any track even so I can not tell you much about how my FWD will react. So far, I am very happy with Koni CO and Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway. The rear behave exactly where I put it at. Very minimal understeer.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dosent MikeM@purems have a frontrak? ask him maybe?

i remember seeing a pic he had of a rear sway-bar type of contraption, a torsion bar bolted to the axel IIRC, i dont know what he does with it, if its just a street machine, or a track car, or auto-x but ask him, might have some good info.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I would not buy this FWD car with the goal of improving my autocross times

Yes, it is slightly lighter..but you lose more than you gain in performance. My suggestion is find ways to lighten your current quattro car. I use to autocross a lot...in my S4 and S4 Avant. In 2000, I got 3rd place in CSP in the very competitive SF Region. I have never seen a competitive FWD audi at an autocross.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are good FWD autocross cars out there

however I really wouldn't choose the A4 as one.
If times are all the matter, then I can't tell you if a FWD could be faster. But I can guarantee you it would be less fun. The lsd will make it much better, and could be a worthy investment if you feel that the weight difference is justifiable.

But you are overlooking other aspects of that car you mentioned. I wouldn't take a DBW car for the track over a ndbw. Especially for autocrossing.

I've heard great things about quaiffe's however the price they run for + install, wouldn't it be better to just invest in a bigger turbo? A big turbo with quattro is pretty impressive and not to mention quite competitive. Just my 2cents.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OT: justin, what n75 valve are you running? im experiencing surging. gonna go for n75j

When on the freeway, if i have the cruise control set at 80, and i decelerate to ~65-70 and turn it back on....
it surges between 3psi and 7psi. it goes 3 7 3 7 3 7.. all the way up to 80mph.

so yeah, im gonna go with the n75j. maybe ill buy a k for the track.

cheapest place to get one?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:34 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Well, I know of one person with a FWD w/LSD...I'll summon him...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default for 10g's no. 10g = Miata + 3 sets of wheels/tires, tire trailer, roll bar and will be infinitely

more fun than a FWD A4.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Autocross potential of a 2001 1.8 FWD?

i have an 01 fwd and ive autocrossed before. No LSD though but i thought autoX was fun although i wasnt competing to be the fastest one out there.
problems in autox, too much understeer, constant low gear speeds means a lot of front wheel spin out tring to accelerate out the turns.
it does OK, definitely not the best autox car.
ive switched towards track instead of autox, and do considerably better. imo better track car then autox car.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Defintely you need a Rear Sway if you feel understeer. Love my

Quick Reply: Autocross potential of a 2001 1.8 FWD?