A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone please help!!

I'm new here so please bare with me if i have old posts here but, i just traded my car for a 96 audi a4 quattro AWD and i have a few problems. Some background is the car had a blown engine. The body has 190k and he swapped the engine and the engine has about 85k. The interior has a lot of work needed to be done. Let me start

The car turns 2 times and starts the 3rd
The power door locks do not work
When i press the defroster the fan runs but heat comes out the vents not the defroster vent.
Also i just tried changing my rear brake pads and the caliper doesnt want to go back. i tried using the C-clamp. Do i need to use the piston tool??
Also the gauge says empty but is full?
And i filled up my tank of gas and when i started my car it said i only had 3/4?

Please im so stressed cuz i traded a perfectly good car for this one which has many problems. Any help would be highly appreciated
Thank you
Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What did you trade for this car?

Hopefully it wasn't worth a lot, because it sounds like another abused audi.

The car turns 2 times and starts the 3rd
Could be lots of things get a VAG.com and check for stored codes.

The power door locks do not work
Check the vacuum pump in the trunk, beware somewhat $$.

When i press the defroster the fan runs but heat comes out the vents not the defroster vent.
Run Vag.com on the climate control sounds like a flap is stuck.

Also i just tried changing my rear brake pads and the caliper doesnt want to go back. i tried using the C-clamp. Do i need to use the piston tool??
You need to rent or buy the caliper tool. You need to rotate the pistons as you compress them.

Also the gauge says empty but is full?
And i filled up my tank of gas and when i started my car it said i only had 3/4?

Run Vag.com on the instrument cluster to see if all the gauges are working.If they are it's probably the sender. Senders are expensive also.

If the car has a replacement motor was the timing belt done? If not it's about $300 more parts.

The important thing to do is not throw parts at the car. VAG.com can help find a lot of problems.

The full version of Vag.com is available from Ross-tech for about $300. There's cables on E-bay for less than $50 that can use the unlicensed version of Vag.com.They work OK , I used one on my 96 A4 for several years.

Don't buy a generic scanner as it is of limited use and won't read audi/ vw specific codes.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you for much its a start. ill try everything and get back thanks again
Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Be patient, and tackle one thing at a time. If you are serious about keeping this car, buy yourself a Bentley manual.

Everything is fixable, some may not be worth the expense.

When these cars are neglected they can somehow limp along for many years. Eventually the years of neglect catch up.

Good luck, chin up.

Bruch
Old 11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As for the brakes, you can do it without special tool. You said you tried with C-clamp...Put it back again and press on the piston. Then with adjustable pliers turn the piston ( I think to the right but don't remember exactly). Do not press too much cause it will be hard to turn. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what the hell is VAG.com??
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a cheap caliper tool, and it works great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732
Best $25 I have spent in a while.
Bruch
Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I have a 96 12v V6 and it starts on the 3rd turn over all the time. I learned that if you turn the key to on and wait for the pump to prime, this reduces the starting time.

As for the locks, you need a new vacuum lock pump which is expensive and is why it hasn't been replaced: get one from car-parts.com But be sure you get a warranty.

Your front defroster flap is probably stuck, mine was. You need to get a vag cable, the rosstech software and a laptop to use it all on. Then the software will tell you what is wrong, and it is probably a flap. Easy lube-up fix.

You also should be buying a Bentley manual if you plan on working on this car to save money.

As for your breaks, you need to rotate the cylinder clockwise and puch in at the same time. Just buy the a break tool kit.

You should also consider a timing belt or ask the previous seller when he did the timing belt.

We sell everything you need to get started with this car, click me click me.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks alot and what bently manual to get?? and how much is this vag thing? again thanks alot guys