Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Banned
Account #: 65810

Default Any gear oil or additives recommended to "quiet" a noisy manual transmission?

I have the "diesel knock" sound in first gear when accelerating and have been told it's due to pitting on the output shaft (common on the 2.8L).

Don't want to spend the $$$$ on a new/rebuilt tranny or a new output shaft.

Just want to quiet it doen as much as possible.

TIA.
CTA4AVANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 19029

Default try changing the damper fluid in your streigel valves

also, try counterbalancing the containment module with a crossdrilled transmission tubalator.

Give a man a match and he'll stay warm for the rest of the day; Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Sincerely, Cap'n Long-John Peg-Leg Patch-Eye Hook, III

AIM/iChat IndyAudiLouie
YahooIM p0ssumc0wb0y
PossumCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Banned
Account #: 65810

Default Arrrrrgh. Always a wise *** in the crowd.

CTA4AVANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 88605

Default Does this truly work? I swear I had my mechanic perform the procedure and it didn't do squat.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 27563

Default I have a recommendation (big surprise)Try a GL-5 GEAR oil like Mobil 1. Mix some 90 & 140 weight

The extra Friction Modifers and shock load additives that GL-5 has over the recommended GL-4 MTF might help quiet it and bunch and actually reduce friction. As long as the syncros still catch nicely, it is well worth a try. Let us know if it works. I'd blend it according to your climatic needs.

btw- WalMart's ST Synth GL-5 140 is like $7 in case you want to experiment, even drain half your fluid and mix in this as a test for visc and partial additive boost. You could even do that with dino GL-5. otoh, using Mobil 1 is not expensive ($11) and will take the additive levels fully up to GL-5 spec. Nothing worng with DuraBlend either. Some places sell Valvoline SynPower Gear oil too.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 19029

Default Did he recalibrate the valve-stem scrubbing monitor? That can deconfavulate the jorganizer.

Give a man a match and he'll stay warm for the rest of the day; Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Sincerely, Cap'n Long-John Peg-Leg Patch-Eye Hook, III

AIM/iChat IndyAudiLouie
YahooIM p0ssumc0wb0y
PossumCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'll have to confirm it with him. I'll get back to you.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well I talked to my mechanic and he just laughed at me. I don't think he performed the procedure.

I think I should look for a new one. How can a professional not do such an important procedure? To tell you the truth I don't think he knows anything about it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a4, additive, additives, audi, gear, manual, noisey, noisy, oil, quiet, quieten, standard, tranmission, transmission, transmissions