A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AllState Extended Warranty Service? Anyone use it? Just got flyer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-1999, 07:14 PM
BB

Default AllState Extended Warranty Service? Anyone use it? Just got flyer...

Just received a mailer about AllState's Extended Warranty program. (Guess they bought my name from someone) They offer a couple different plans, with various miles and years. They have an additional 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for $956 (or $99.10 for 10 months). Seems like a good price, after hearing some of the numbers thrown around on the discussion board. (A +48k mile warranty for $1,387)

Includes; Engine, Transmission, Drive Axle(s), Suspension, Steering, A/C, Braking system, electrical. It seems rather extensive; timing belts, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. even factory stereo and CD player.

It looks like after signing up you just pay a $50 deductible, no matter what the repair costs.

Anyone currently with them? How has the experience been? Is this a good rate?

Thanks
Old 12-03-1999, 03:56 AM
TomF

Default I asked for a quote

on my '98 1.8T and the rates seemed reasonable. In my case the agent said the 6 year warrantee was for 6 years from today (for me a total of 8 years then), and the rate was about $2200. I think $900+ for 3 additional years is reasonable. I'm going to take a gamble and not do it. By the way, did they tell you whether the turbo was covered... I couldn't get that confirmed.

Tom
1.8tqms
Old 12-03-1999, 05:17 AM
GeorgeH

Default Re: AllState Extended Warranty Service? Anyone use it? Just got flyer...

I thought the $900 rate sounded reasonable too and sent for a contract, but the actual contract price was $1700 or so. I too am going to skip it and figure this baby will be trouble free for another 50,000 miles.
Old 12-03-1999, 05:39 AM
Monkeyboy

Default Shop Around

Someone below posted that Geico had very low premiums on extended warranties, additional posts mentioned that lowest rates were for those with clean records. In any event, it pays to shop around and compare apples to apples as quotes may have varying deductibles, and may specify the use of rebuilt or non-new replacement parts.

I got burned with a Windstar extended warranty by not realizing (reading the fine print) that they will use rebuilt / refurbished replacement parts and will always go with the least expensive method of fixing a problem no matter how many times you have to bring it in. We had our transmission replaced with a rebuilt once, then had the rebuilt one repaired and it is acting up again.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-1999, 05:52 AM
Mark P

Default Both of my parents got the offer and my father is using it

We all have Allstate insurance so that is how we got it, I assume. For my father, he has 85K on his Ford Probe. They max out all offers at 100K, so he is taking the lowest for 2yr/24k for ~$700. He anticipates a problem with his sunroof that will run $350, so if that's all that happens in the next 15K, then Allstate makes money on him. However the extra $350 is pretty cheap if there is any other problem. Like you said, it's pretty extensive in it's coverage.

I'll probably go with them (I've had great service with Allstate as a car insurer) since I'll put 40-50K in the 1ST year and eat up my Audi warranty

Mark P
Old 12-03-1999, 06:37 AM
JSC

Default beware the wear and tear exclusion

as I've noted before, if the contract does not cover wear and tear you have a hole big enough to drive a Mack truck through that can and will be used to deny you coverage. Almost every contract has this exclusion, and they cover "breakdown", not "wear and tear."

The only one I know of that covers "wear and tear" is Warranty Gold through Edmunds. I have no experience with them, do not have one, do not endorse them, etc., just note that they seem to have the most extensive coverage.

Another issue, of course, is who underwrites the policies: if the underwriter goes belly up --- and this happens --- so does your coverage.

I've had 3 extended service contracts --- it is NOT a warranty, there are signficant legal differences -- only one paid for itself. I've decided, at least so far (15 months/ 17.5k miles) to not get one on my 98.5 A4Q Avant.
Old 12-03-1999, 06:46 AM
Spielmobile

Get Geico Auto Insurance and get a better warranty for $4 month for up to 7 yrs
Old 12-03-1999, 07:08 AM
Jon C

Default Geico are scumsuckers IMO

They subsidize cops w/ laser & radar so they can ticket you and jack up your rate, or eventually drop your policy... stay clear, it's not worth the savings IMO
Old 12-03-1999, 09:19 AM
MikeM

GEICO buys lidar and radar for P.D.s that can't afford them, real customer driven.
Old 12-04-1999, 04:51 AM
Mark Collett

Glad more people know that besides me... I will NEVER go with Geico.