A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

alingment

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alingment

has any tried doing them selfs. Because thats what im planning to do and figure how to do it properly. I went to dealers and they are charging about 169 bucks for it, and thats to much for me, and for everyone actually.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
has any tried doing them selfs. Because thats what im planning to do and figure how to do it properly. I went to dealers and they are charging about 169 bucks for it, and thats to much for me, and for everyone actually.
Just spend $20,000 on a Hunter alignment machine and you should be able to do it yourself.

Seriously, your only other choice is the dealer? I am not sure where you are but there are a ton of independents that will do it for less than $100.

And if can't afford that, maybe you should consider cheaper transportation options.

If you prevent destroying one set of tires alignment it will pay for itself.

Firestone has Hunter machines.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Just spend $20,000 on a Hunter alignment machine and you should be able to do it yourself.

Seriously, your only other choice is the dealer? I am not sure where you are but there are a ton of independents that will do it for less than $100.

And if can't afford that, maybe you should consider cheaper transportation options.

If you prevent destroying one set of tires alignment it will pay for itself.

Firestone has Hunter machines.
so firestone works well with audis. Do you know exactly how to do the rear? because thats why my tires a really getting bald
Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alingment

so firestone works well with audis. Do you know exactly how to do the rear? because thats why my tires a really getting bald
The rear suspension has both camber and toe adjustments, but no shop will be able to realign your vehicle if the tires are excessively worn. You will need to install new or evenly-worn tires for a correct alignment to be done.

Was the vehicle in an accident or were any of the rear suspension components recently replaced?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HBAudi
The rear suspension has both camber and toe adjustments, but no shop will be able to realign your vehicle if the tires are excessively worn. You will need to install new or evenly-worn tires for a correct alignment to be done.

Was the vehicle in an accident or were any of the rear suspension components recently replaced?
no nothing was updated and no accidents as well. The car lost its alingment after i got real mad and drove hard.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default alignment

.......The car lost its alingment after i got real mad and drove hard.
What exactly does 'got real mad and drove hard' mean? The rear suspension on the B5 is rather robust to just lose its alignment without some impact or other trauma.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What exactly does 'got real mad and drove hard' mean? The rear suspension on the B5 is rather robust to just lose its alignment without some impact or other trauma.
well i was trying to turn around quickly so i went quick and pulled a hand brake to do 180. I used to do that with civic, worked well every time. But audi, not so much
Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default alingment

well i was trying to turn around quickly so i went quick and pulled a hand brake to do 180. I used to do that with civic, worked well every time. But audi, not so much
Doing that type of stunt should not in and of itself change the alignment on your vehicle. Remember the B5 is a much heavier chassis than a Honda Civic, especially if it is a Quattro.

When you performed the 'handbrake turn' did one of the rear wheels come into contact with a curb or other object? Is there any evidence of impact damage to one of the rear wheels or tires?

Whatever is your response, you will need to install serviceable tires on the vehicle, inspect the suspension components for damage or wear and have it aligned at a competent shop that can perform a four wheel alignment. Trying to perform this type of operation yourself is akin to giving yourself a root-canal.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Doing that type of stunt should not in and of itself change the alignment on your vehicle. Remember the B5 is a much heavier chassis than a Honda Civic, especially if it is a Quattro.

When you performed the 'handbrake turn' did one of the rear wheels come into contact with a curb or other object? Is there any evidence of impact damage to one of the rear wheels or tires?

Whatever is your response, you will need to install serviceable tires on the vehicle, inspect the suspension components for damage or wear and have it aligned at a competent shop that can perform a four wheel alignment. Trying to perform this type of operation yourself is akin to giving yourself a root-canal.
I own 98 Audi a4 1.8t FWD. and no on the curb either or any other object. learned from civic enough time to be very accurate on a stunt
Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my two Audi's aligned at a few different shops. My tires still wear funny. So I've found , check your bushings to make sure there ok first. In the rear of my 96 the upper bushes we're shot, I replaced those, I bet the lower ones are shot now but any way. I've been doing my own alignments and I think I get closer than some of the shops I've taken it to. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed here but here goes. For tow in, get a 6 foot level or some sort of straight edge. put it across one of the front tires about half way up. I have a box I use. make sure it hits both sides of the tire and go back to about the center of the car and measure the distance from the car to the straight edge. do this on both sides. have your wheel straight, loosen the tie rod ends. I like the idea of putting the tires on two pieces of tile with grease in between so the tire can move easy done it both ways. center the steering wheel. move the tie rods to get the measurement the same. Then take two wood trim pieces and put a notch in it so you can use a tape measure to measure the distance front and back of the tires. I soot for zero tow in. I can get with it 1/2 inches. keep playing around with it. The camber is harder to do. I usually watch my tires for wear every day for a while and move the adjustment in the back a little to compensate. the front you have to loosen the 3 bolts on the top of the suspension to adjust it. But if your bushing are bad for get all of this... its not perfect but it gets it close. no worse than some of the shops around here. you can try using a level for the camber but its hard getting it right when the suspension moves so much.

Quick Reply: alingment