A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

'99 A4 recently purchased, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 A4 recently purchased, a few questions

Hello everyone,

Recently purchased my first Audi. '99 A4 Quattro, 2.8. I practically stole it compared to what everyone else was asking for comparable models (year/mileage/package). It's been a great car so far, but at 90,000 miles I've been collecting items to have a tune up and maintenance package done. What I've purchased so far, and plan on having done:

-Transmission fluid/filter
-Fuel filter
-Plugs
-Serpentine belt

Pretty simple and straightforward. Timing belt was done at 68,000, so I don't think that's necessary at the moment. I've got a great European car mechanic who is very reasonable, and he's got a lot of experience. My questions however are as follows:

-I had a highway vibration around 75mph, and once in a while at 45-50mph. I had the tires rotated and balanced, only to make it worse. Took it back with a complaint that they did a horrible job. After re-checking 2 out of 4, they found a bent wheel. So I apologized, and bought a refurbished from Detroit. Had it changed, and although it lessened, the vibration is still there. I'm suspecting that I have another one. Are bent wheels common with these A4's? Do aftermarket wheels help the situation at all?

-I changed the brakes the first week I got the car. I made sure to order the pads with the plug-ins. To my surprise, when I received the pads, the plugs were wrong. So I installed the pads, but still have the idiot light on the dash. Is there a plug-in blank made to insert into the harness, and turn the light off? If not, what is the most popular method for getting the light off? I thought about making a small plug, but I figured I would check here first.

-I have a horrible drivers door squeak. I know this sounds funny, but it's so bad that when I open the door, it sounds like an American pickup truck from 1985. I've lubed this thing religiously the past month, but it refuses to go away. Any common problem area that I'm overlooking to get rid of this?

Any other tips/tricks/insider info would be appreciated. Photos will be posted soon. I just registered this morning, but I've been browsing around here for the past month or so, and I love the site. Keep up the good work, and thanks for reading my post.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Traveler
Hello everyone,

Recently purchased my first Audi. '99 A4 Quattro, 2.8. I practically stole it compared to what everyone else was asking for comparable models (year/mileage/package). It's been a great car so far, but at 90,000 miles I've been collecting items to have a tune up and maintenance package done. What I've purchased so far, and plan on having done:

-Fuel filter
-Plugs
-Serpentine belt

Pretty simple and straightforward. Timing belt was done at 68,000, so I don't think that's necessary at the moment. I've got a great European car mechanic who is very reasonable, and he's got a lot of experience. My questions however are as follows:

-I had a highway vibration around 75mph, and once in a while at 45-50mph. I had the tires rotated and balanced, only to make it worse. Took it back with a complaint that they did a horrible job. After re-checking 2 out of 4, they found a bent wheel. So I apologized, and bought a refurbished from Detroit. Had it changed, and although it lessened, the vibration is still there. I'm suspecting that I have another one. Are bent wheels common with these A4's? Do aftermarket wheels help the situation at all?

-I changed the brakes the first week I got the car. I made sure to order the pads with the plug-ins. To my surprise, when I received the pads, the plugs were wrong. So I installed the pads, but still have the idiot light on the dash. Is there a plug-in blank made to insert into the harness, and turn the light off? If not, what is the most popular method for getting the light off? I thought about making a small plug, but I figured I would check here first.

-I have a horrible drivers door squeak. I know this sounds funny, but it's so bad that when I open the door, it sounds like an American pickup truck from 1985. I've lubed this thing religiously the past month, but it refuses to go away. Any common problem area that I'm overlooking to get rid of this?

Any other tips/tricks/insider info would be appreciated. Photos will be posted soon. I just registered this morning, but I've been browsing around here for the past month or so, and I love the site. Keep up the good work, and thanks for reading my post.
Depends on the wheel the "celebration" wheels are typically the worse. The 16 inch used on the early 2.8 V6 seem to be the most rugged. Could be a lot of reasons though including suspension problems which these cars suffer from. Check your CV joints and make sure the wheels turn freely and not binding. Check the center bearing in the F-R driveshaft as they seem to fail occasionally. Check fluids in transmission and rear driveshaft.

As far as I know there is no way to turn off the warning without shorting the plug, the connector changed thru model years, there was a big change at 99.5 on the A4 so there is VIN split for part #s. I would have used the plug from the old pads. You can solder the wires together if you just want to get rid of the light.

Never had trouble with any of my hinges, silicon spray always took care of it .

Congrats on the new car.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a 99 this year too, and also have that front end vibration. Changed axles (they were worn out) and wheels/tires (for nicer ones) and its still there. I suspect wheel bearings as they seem to wear out on these.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the tips!

Vibration did get better with one wheel change, but I'm suspecting that I have at least one more.

The first week I had it I changed both the rear wheel bearings. It was a lot easier than I figured it was going to be. Fronts seem fine, as well as the driveshafts, axles, suspension, etc. (no play in any of the items, and no noises).

I may think about aftermarket wheels just so I don't get any more bent wheels, but we'll see after I change one more.

Pictures are attached as promised. Thanks for the input!
Attached Images      
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tips!

Vibration did get better with one wheel change, but I'm suspecting that I have at least one more.

The first week I had it I changed both the rear wheel bearings. It was a lot easier than I figured it was going to be. Fronts seem fine, as well as the driveshafts, axles, suspension, etc. (no play in any of the items, and no noises).

I may think about aftermarket wheels just so I don't get any more bent wheels, but we'll see after I change one more.

Pictures are attached as promised. Thanks for the input!

Nice car, standard non sport suspension I see. Those are the OEM standard 5 spoke a pretty strong wheel made by Ronal, not known for bending.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-I changed the brakes the first week I got the car. I made sure to order the pads with the plug-ins. To my surprise, when I received the pads, the plugs were wrong. So I installed the pads, but still have the idiot light on the dash. Is there a plug-in blank made to insert into the harness, and turn the light off? If not, what is the most popular method for getting the light off?
I haven't been here for 3 years, so I'm very rusty, but IIRC, you can turn the light off with the VAG-COM.

Most people just jumper the plugs.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

For front end vibration, if as you say your wheels and tires are good, then check the suspension, namely the tie rod ends.

Looks like yours is a '99.5 btw. Very clean. congrats.

Last edited by nooB5; 07-20-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use old motor oil from oilchanges for my door hinges. I found silicone not thick enough for worn hinges and pns.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the site is very welcoming!

I know that I have at least one more bent wheel, and the tires are no good. As soon as I get those taken care of, I'm optimistic that vibration will go away. Anybody have tire recommendations? I put the top of the line Goodyears on my wife's Accord, and they were amazing through the winter. But perhaps I don't need them with AWD? Any tire feedback would be appreciated.

The door hinge...I have located the problem. It's a combination of a squeak and a hideous clunk. I have narrowed it down to the large spring that catches the door rollers. It's got some play in it, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to fix it, and lube doesn't help.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Hello everyone,

-Fuel filter
-Plugs
-Serpentine belt

1) Not very well known for bending, but it sounds like you are about to rule that out soon.

2) Not sure which pad sensor shape you got vs. what you need. But we do have sensor over-ride harnesses.

3) Had this as well. I sat there with a punch, gear oil and a hammer gently tapping, lubing, tapping in the other direction, lubing and after about 20 minutes of this the crunch went away. I was fighting rust buildup and friction.

Hope that helps, nice find!
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com