A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99.5 1.8t fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99.5 1.8t fuel issue

for the past couple months i've had a starting issue caused by what i believe to be the fuel pressure regulator after doing some research on here. basically the car after sitting for a while or with the tank near empty, will take a few extra cranks to start. my assumption of the FPR was based on a lot of similar issues i read on here and it makes sense that if the fpr isn't holding pressure and the fuel leaks back into the tank, it will take longer for it to start. i just havnt gotten around to fixing it yet.

now, within the last week or two, i have a check engine light, and the car wont boost past 7lbs (wastegate setting). so i pulled the codes and i got the following.

p1127 - long term fuel trim mult.,bank 1 system too rich
p0327 - knock sensor 1 circ low imput
p0332 - knock sensor 2 circ low imput

my question is, coud this be related to the FPR or do i have a bigger issue?

car is 99.5 1.8T with an AWE k04 kit, matching software, ijectors and GIAC chip

any help would be appreciated,
thanks
RJ
Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't believe that the fuel pressure regulator is expected to hold pressure when the car is shut off, nor the check valve at the fuel pump. The priming of the fuel system, which happens when the driver's door opens, or the key is turned to "On", brings the rail pressure up. The FPR mearly bleeds off enough fuel to maintain that pressure. If your car is running too rich, maybe a high-reading MAF, or low-reading temp sensor(s), FPR not regulating properly (pressure too high), or something with your high-perf setup.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no other codes, i checked the airbox and the MAF, both are exceptionally clean, i had heard that an over oiled K&N could do this, but mines perfect. i do have another maf sensor coming that i can throw in there to see if it helps. also have two knock sensors that i'll put in. looking for a 5bar FPR at the moment, because im fairly certain it is supposed to hold rail pressure while the car is off.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SilverCQ
no other codes, i checked the airbox and the MAF, both are exceptionally clean, i had heard that an over oiled K&N could do this, but mines perfect. i do have another maf sensor coming that i can throw in there to see if it helps. also have two knock sensors that i'll put in. looking for a 5bar FPR at the moment, because im fairly certain it is supposed to hold rail pressure while the car is off.
I have the same problem with start up, mine is worse + I have a problem with large fuel consumption.
I talked to a guy at dealership, suggesting that maybe a problem in fuel going back into the tank. He told me that this is ment to happen. Fuel pump is powerful enough to quickly pump it back on a start up.