A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

98 2.8 5spd A4 oil leak help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b5_audi_lover
which gaskets are you referring to in your first sentence? i dont care about the cel light and i know how it works, was just wondering if having no cats would cause engine damage
Cam cover gaskets.

Removing the cats will not cause engine damage .

Last edited by AudiMick; 02-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully my pcv system replacement will take care of my problems and I wont have to leave my car at school to do my cam gaskets

What are your thoughts about the valve cover gasket kit and the pcv system from blauparts? (links are in prior posts)

And do you think it will be harmful for me to drive the car for 20 mins to my school schop(less than 20 miles there, and then back home) so I can actually get it on a lift and get a better look for the oil leak but I'm pretty sure that gasket kit and pcv system will solve my problems.

AND im very thankful for ALL the help everyone is giving me, Thank You.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hopefully my pcv system replacement will take care of my problems and I wont have to leave my car at school to do my cam gaskets

What are your thoughts about the valve cover gasket kit and the pcv system from blauparts? (links are in prior posts)

And do you think it will be harmful for me to drive the car for 20 mins to my school schop(less than 20 miles there, and then back home) so I can actually get it on a lift and get a better look for the oil leak but I'm pretty sure that gasket kit and pcv system will solve my problems.

AND im very thankful for ALL the help everyone is giving me, Thank You.
Valve cover gaskets = cam cover gaskets = same thing. On an OHC motor they are normally referred to as cam cover.

Since the cats are dead anyway, I doubt you would cause much harm.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

since im smoking and burning some oil which i think is cuz of the pcv system,think ill be ok driving it 30miles tomorrow?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

since im smoking and burning some oil which i think is cuz of the pcv system,think ill be ok driving it 30miles tomorrow?
Like I said above the only damage you are likely to do is to the catalytic converters and in an earlier post you said they were already due for removal/ replacement.

Only you can determine if the smoke is that bad.

As long as you don't run out of lubrication oil it's fine.

Last edited by AudiMick; 02-14-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well, ill update more tomorrow.
ill be driving it to school to get her on a lift and further investigate this leak and try to find the source of the devil and remove my cats and hopefully my pcv system will be here this week
Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I just got home from school and had the baby on a lift. Unfortunately, there is oil and/or oil residue everywhere and its hard to determine the leak. But it seems like its coming from the back of the engine(near the firewall) but up near the top somewhere and/or in the front of the engine(near the rad) near the top. I'm taking the cats off after this post and then hopefully the new pcv system will clear things up and hopefully(cross fingers) I wont need the gasket kit. I have cancelled my order and am now ordering the pcv system through ecstuning tonight/tomorrow early morning...http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1899536/
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you can get a version for free off of the rosstech website.
then you need to get a cable off ebay or thru rosstech
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for overposting but I just remembered.

Today, I also discovered I'm going to need new drivers front tire. Does anyone recommend a good tire supplier at a good price without sacrificing quality?

And my oil leak is somewhere ALMOST near a quart a week.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for overposting but I just remembered.

Today, I also discovered I'm going to need new drivers front tire. Does anyone recommend a good tire supplier at a good price without sacrificing quality?

And my oil leak is somewhere ALMOST near a quart a week.
Tire Rack or Discount Tire. Remember you have to have the remaining tires within 4/32nd of the new tire or you have to:
1. Shave that tire down to the same depth
2. Buy four new tires.

Quick Reply: 98 2.8 5spd A4 oil leak help!!!