A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

98 2.8 5spd A4 oil leak help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2.8 5spd A4 oil leak help!!!

I looked all over a found a few very helpful threads but would actually like to communicate with different people on how to fix my ride. I will be doing all my own labor fyi.

I bought my 98 a4 2.8 5spd quatro about 2 weeks ago, the previous owner said it taken care of and timing was done at 145k(now at 184xxx) and it needed valve cover gaskets replaced.

I went to autozone and got felpro gaskets for the valve covers as well as spark plug tunnel gaskets for $110.

I replaced them and noticed the pcv going from the multiport connector to the passenger side valve cover was broken so I slipped heater hose and clamps on it, only a few droplets come out now.

But now when I go to check the oil with engine running, the oil shoots out from the dipstick tube but didnt do this prior to my work. Also, there is smoke rising from the rear of the engine bay near the valve cover but its coming from lower and same thing for the passenger side. However, the passenger side isnt as bad.

There is still an oil leak and I cannot pinpoint where its coming from. Any ideas,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, when i changed the valve cover gaskets, i noticed the pcv hoses going into the valve covers were sludged up so I cleaned them up a bit, but not 100%. Also, I have the old black oil cap and not a vented one. I was thinking of getting a new pcv system from blauparts (( http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GC26180-A )) as well as doing a new vcg and cam seals (( http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002 )) THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by b5_audi_lover
I looked all over a found a few very helpful threads but would actually like to communicate with different people on how to fix my ride. I will be doing all my own labor fyi.

I bought my 98 a4 2.8 5spd quatro about 2 weeks ago, the previous owner said it taken care of and timing was done at 145k(now at 184xxx) and it needed valve cover gaskets replaced.

I went to autozone and got felpro gaskets for the valve covers as well as spark plug tunnel gaskets for $110.

I replaced them and noticed the pcv going from the multiport connector to the passenger side valve cover was broken so I slipped heater hose and clamps on it, only a few droplets come out now.

But now when I go to check the oil with engine running, the oil shoots out from the dipstick tube but didnt do this prior to my work. Also, there is smoke rising from the rear of the engine bay near the valve cover but its coming from lower and same thing for the passenger side. However, the passenger side isnt as bad.

There is still an oil leak and I cannot pinpoint where its coming from. Any ideas,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
You need to fix the PVC system first. The crankcase ventilation is plugged and forcing oil out the dipstick.

Recommendations- you need a Bentley Manual and a Ross Tech VAG-COM - these will save you money in the long term if you are doing your own work
Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the pcv system ordered on the way from blauparts and that will take care of, what do you think about the leaking and smoking?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the pcv system ordered on the way from blauparts and that will take care of the pressure issue shooting the oil out of the tube, what do you think about the leaking and smoking?

and where can i find a vented oil cap?

sorry for posting again, but cant find a button to edit my posts
Old 02-13-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the pcv system ordered on the way from blauparts and that will take care of the pressure issue shooting the oil out of the tube, what do you think about the leaking and smoking?

and where can i find a vented oil cap?

sorry for posting again, but cant find a button to edit my posts
You don't need a vented oil cap, once you fix the PCV system chances are that all the oil burning and leaks will reduce significantly.Normally the excess pressure is vented thru the throttle body plenum and into the intake manifold.

In this case the crankcase is over pressurized which is forcing oil up past the rings and into the combustion chambers. Classic symptoms and happens to lots of cars.

You might need to replace those gaskets again once the problem has been rectified.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

once i install the new pcv system i will need to re-do the valve cover gaskets? if thats what you mean, what are your thoughts on http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002 to use this time? since ill be in there, i might as well go ahead and do the cam seals..........im just nervous about this car and want to maintain it as its my daily driver and need it to last me a few years while saving for a new s4.

I just want to take care of the oil leak issue im faced with...im confused right now and would love to take of this

Also, even though this is off-topic of oil, what does anyone think of removing my cats and straight piping them? They're throwing codes for being shot, and they sound horrible
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

and where can i get this " vag com " usb cable and software for a reasonable price?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

once i install the new pcv system i will need to re-do the valve cover gaskets? if thats what you mean, what are your thoughts on http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002 to use this time? since ill be in there, i might as well go ahead and do the cam seals..........im just nervous about this car and want to maintain it as its my daily driver and need it to last me a few years while saving for a new s4.

I just want to take care of the oil leak issue im faced with...im confused right now and would love to take of this

Also, even though this is off-topic of oil, what does anyone think of removing my cats and straight piping them? They're throwing codes for being shot, and they sound horrible

You "might" need to do the gaskets because the excess crankcase pressure may have caused them to burst. But wait until you fix the PCV problem and see if it's necessary.

Removing the cats will not remove the CEL, so if you have an local emissions test or plan on reselling the car in the future is a no-no. You can buy stubs that supposedly fool the OBDII system . Magnaflow and several other companies sell aftermarket 49 state legal universal cats for less than $100. Pay a muffler shop to weld them in.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
You "might" need to do the gaskets because the excess crankcase pressure may have caused them to burst. But wait until you fix the PCV problem and see if it's necessary.

Removing the cats will not remove the CEL, so if you have an local emissions test or plan on reselling the car in the future is a no-no. You can buy stubs that supposedly fool the OBDII system . Magnaflow and several other companies sell aftermarket 49 state legal universal cats for less than $100. Pay a muffler shop to weld them in.
which gaskets are you referring to in your first sentence? i dont care about the cel light and i know how it works, was just wondering if having no cats would cause engine damage

Quick Reply: 98 2.8 5spd A4 oil leak help!!!