A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Pulsar Plugs, and maybe why you should buy them for your A4 !

Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsar Plugs, and maybe why you should buy them for your A4 !

Recently I've been doing some research, and I don't know about you guys, but I found these new "pulse plugs" by Pulsar, that claim to give you a decent increase in fuel mileage and a slight bump in overall performance. I found it in the Discover magazine, like a science type publication, but anyway these plugs as I saw apparently give a 13% increase in fuel mileage for the 1.8 Turbo motors, as applied in a test done by them in a 2004 Jetta. The link is here : http://pulstar.com/testresults.htm

from there you can look around the site and read what they have to say. At $15 a plug, I think it would easily pay for itself in fuel savings. It says the only thing you have to do solely for the 1.8's (V6's are okay) is reduce the plug gap from the stock-as-shipped gap of .040 to .025 because of the engine being turbocharged. Anyway if you have these, tell me about them, I want to know if they're any good, and if you have comments, you might as well just say whats on your mind !

Happy motoring !
Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bwahahaa... Snake oil at it's finest

Find me some double-blind, INDEPENDENT testing with REAL data and we'll talk.

In the mean time, stick with NGK plugs and be thankful you have coil packs.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Every so often some super expensive plug comes out that makes those grand claims; remember the "split-fires"? Nate is skeptical and so am I. A plug has one job and that's to light the fuel/air mixture. If your NGKs don't crap out under boost, idle smooth, then there is nothing more to gain. Save your $60 for something necessary.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it would be like that ! Hahaha, I didn't know about the "split-fire" plugs, thats rather interesting . Anyway, good thing I got some insight to the matter, thanks a bunch. Anyway, so a better question, whats the best money you can spend on an upgrade on these things, i'm fairly new to the Audi family :P .

Originally Posted by turbo510
Every so often some super expensive plug comes out that makes those grand claims; remember the "split-fires"? Nate is skeptical and so am I. A plug has one job and that's to light the fuel/air mixture. If your NGKs don't crap out under boost, idle smooth, then there is nothing more to gain. Save your $60 for something necessary.