A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T Raer Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T Raer Springs

Hello, I had a broken rear spring so I changed them both out and now the car seems to bottom out over bumps whenever anyone sits in the back. It even seems to look a bit lower when unloaded. I am very experienced with these types of jobs but have never had one go wrong. The shock/spring assy. bolts into the car pretty straight forward and keeps the top and bottom at a standard distance so all I can think of is that the springs are too soft. Anyone second my conclusion?

Thanks,
RB
Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadblock
Hello, I had a broken rear spring so I changed them both out and now the car seems to bottom out over bumps whenever anyone sits in the back. It even seems to look a bit lower when unloaded. I am very experienced with these types of jobs but have never had one go wrong. The shock/spring assy. bolts into the car pretty straight forward and keeps the top and bottom at a standard distance so all I can think of is that the springs are too soft. Anyone second my conclusion?

Thanks,
RB
RB,

Assuming the dampers/shock absorbers are good, were the replacement springs new or used? It is entirely possible you were shipped the incorrect springs or if used, they were no longer serviceable. There is also a top and bottom to the springs on the Quattro models; is it possible they were mounted on the damper/shock absorber incorrectly?

Hope this helps!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HBAudi
RB,

Assuming the dampers/shock absorbers are good, were the replacement springs new or used? It is entirely possible you were shipped the incorrect springs or if used, they were no longer serviceable. There is also a top and bottom to the springs on the Quattro models; is it possible they were mounted on the damper/shock absorber incorrectly?

Hope this helps!
Replacement springs were new. Shock absorbers were good. Springs were exact same height as the old ones, I compared them side by side before install. I made sure that the new springs were installed the same way up as the old ones, top and bottom were positioned firmly against the top and bottom stops. Any other opinions? I have read in my searches that some complain about having trouble getting replacement springs that are equal to OEM ride height. Maybe they are just crappy quality and are not firm enough?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

...I have read in my searches that some complain about having trouble getting replacement springs that are equal to OEM ride height. Maybe they are just crappy quality and are not firm enough?
You may want to exchange them for new OEM springs from an Audi dealership or quality aftermarket springs that conform to TUV specifications. Due to the age of the B5 models, some replacement parts are now sourced from manufacturers outside the EU with the resulting suspect quality. I found that H&R springs with German-made Bilstein dampers work well. Another good choice would be Koni as they are adjustable for stiffness and work with both OEM and aftermarket springs.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. The springs are definately going back.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guy won't take the springs back, says it's not his fault I got the wrong ones. I really don't want to shell out another $200 for another set so what are my options, if any? Can I use spacers to firm them up?

Thanks,

RB
Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any opinions at all?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any opinions at all?
You may want to search on eBay or craigslist.org to find the springs. Otherwise, purchase the correct ones from a reputable vendor by providing the VIN so there is no confusion as to which ones are suitable for your vehicle.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So you wouldn't recommend spacers then?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you wouldn't recommend spacers then?
There are no short-cuts here. The laws of physics cannot be changed.

Spacers do not change spring rates, they only raise/ lower the car.

If your car is level at the moment a spacer at the rear will give the car a nose down stance.

Buy a matched full set (front and rear) of springs and shocks, either used from car that hasn't experienced salt in its life or a new aftermarket set from a good vendor.

Quick Reply: 2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T Raer Springs