A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2.8 12V, custom turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jessie James doesnt work on Audis

the level of complexity involved in adding a turbocharger to an audi is VERY high... Jessie would weld it to the hood of the car and call it done... However that doesnt actually do anything other than increase aerodynamic drag and look incredibly stupid as a hood orniment.

You are obviously not ready to undertake this project. If you want somebody to do it for you then just save up $5,000-10,000 and go have it done... mind you it will take a shop several weeks to months to make this happen as they have other projects going that are probably more important than yours.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I know my 1.8 Engine bay was tight...

Definitelty a feat to overcome will be trying to stuff and keep cool a large turbo in this engine bay...It will all come down to having the right tools, it always does.
Your gonna need a huge intercooler with a mister like the EVO to keep things cool. Perhaps even some sort of ram air scoop that channels more air to pass over the turbine itself...

OK, so:
Chippy
Intake manifold
Exhaust manifold
Turbo
Downpipe
Exhaust
BOV

Once you weld all that stuff together what else would you need to do? The chip will basically adjust the fuel/air ratio right?

oooo you can have a BOV instead of a diverter!!!!
that alone may be worth it!!!

I dont know what else has to be done but since were discussing it id like to be educated if you dont mind.

1.explain wastegate and where it lies in the system
2.Actuator Rod / Diaphram, what control is this?
3. Boost Timer or Controller or turbo timer?
I know one keeps the engine running after we remove the key to help oil cooled turbos move thier heat. The other can adjust boost from inside the car electronically, is there a manual boost conroller? I seem to be confused.

All in all the system doesnt seem that complex. Ive never been under the hood of a car so im definitley missing out on some stuff.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its not my car, im just curious why you make it seem so difficult...
Old 10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Elder Member

Default why is he making it seem so difficult to accomplish?

or why is he making it hard for you to ask questions? i don't know about the second question, but the first one (accomplishing the task) is going to be pretty fricken hard to do. Designing good manifolds is pretty hard to do WITHOUT a space contrstraint. Considering our engine bay is plenty tight with just a 1.8T, trying to fit twin turbos in the engine bay with a v6 is going to be tough. It's going to take a lot of work and tight radius bends to get that accomplished. In all honesty, Quattrofrog is making it seem so difficult because it is. He's not speaking out of his ****
Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Jessie James doesnt work on Audis

Please dont assume im stupid, and foolish, this is not the case. Im not a 16 year old that decided to try something, i have looked at the "space constraints", have access to a supplied shop, and have A friend that is a mechanic helping me, plus other well knowledge friends that know their stuff. 2 mechanical engineers, and i myself am an electrical engineer.
I didn't post here to be flamed by you guys, i wanted suggestions.
Please dont tell me "you cant do it cause you suck at welding / mechanics / lack in knowledge.
This project is very doable, and im trying to find a make it cost effective also.
So close your mouth if you have nothing helpfull to say.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: I know my 1.8 Engine bay was tight...

Thanks for you input forcedfeed
Old 10-11-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: hood scoops, with those you dont need a turbocharger

The manifolds and plumbing wont be a problem so to speak. I will be able to get the manifold custom machined, and since its my friend there is no labor charge. He is also knowlegded is plumbing having an array of tools for pretty much any job.
i know its going to be work, but fun and worth it
Old 10-11-2004, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Holy crap man

You're the one who said you've never been under the hood of a car. Therefore, you've COMPLETELY disqualified yourself from assessing the difficulty of such a project. In order to do stuff right, you can't just "weld all that stuff together." To do a job right, you need to have a fair amount of engineering knowledge. There's a reason that there are only a handful of companies who make quality programming for a particular car. Efficiently tuning a car requires lots of equipment, time, and most importantly, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default His comments were perfectly helpful.

It's very easy to overestimate your abilities. That said, if you have the time and money, there's no reason not to tackle a project.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 12 V

Actually there is a turbo AFC 12V, you might want to search for AudiBoy, he can provide you with the info you need to do it, Most of his parts are custom machined by him. Also you will most definately have to run a Stand Alone system as there is no way you will be able to find a chip or reprogramming of the MMS-411 I gurantee that. Audiboy did something to fool the ecu, it was a temp fix not sure what it was you might wanna ask him about that, there's pics of his setup also.

Quick Reply: 2.8 12V, custom turbo project