A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear wheel bearing replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing replacement issue

Hello guys.

Just spent good portion of my Friday replacing the left/rear wheel bearing on my 98' A4 Quattro 2.8 car. Besides having one hell of a time breaking loose the axle bolt from an amazingly tight torque, it was smooth sailing. I literally welded my 14mm allen socket on to the bolt and with that plus the heat then cold water I poured onto it afterwards, it broke free!

Anyways, I got it all back together and headed home from my friends garage a good 30 miles away. Things seemed better. No more 'whirling' noise coming from the back of car and I could hear the radio again. Then about 1/2 way home I started to feel a "thump.. thump .. thump". Pulled off and wiggled the tire and it seemed snug. I'm pretty sure I know how to torque my lug nuts - but you never know.

So, I have an appointment set for an alignment at Audi on Wednesday. We put, using a cheater bar, pretty good torque on my brand new axel bolt. Wondering if that could be loose. Also, I am wondering about when I put the caliper on over the break pads. There were springs on top of each pad that I just made sure were housed inside the caliper but not seated into anything. Or I can not recall, during the removal of the caliper if I twisted the inside nut that is up against the springy black rubber gasket.

Just curious what you all think could be the culprit. Got a little chilly and quite honestly I am sick of the damn thing right now so decided to type this up and get all your expert advice then tackle it again tomorrow am.

Thanks for any heads up you can give. Remember - only did one side. I confirmed by having my friend check them the 'tightness' four nuts/bolts that hold the whole hub assembly onto car.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the lug nuts were loose \ needed to be torqued incredibly. Problem solved.

Thanks for all your help guys