A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

00 Audi A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Audi A4 Quattro

Another question, that probably can't be answered, but looking for maybe the first place to look. When I back out of the garage, there is a small drop in the cement, maybe 1 inch. When I go over this drop, I hear a..something is loose somwhere noise. I was thinking strut mounts, struts themselves, or ball joints. Is one problem more common than the other? 124K, I will probably end up doing the whole front end anyway, just curious. I guess you could describe it as a clunk noise. I am going at a very slow speed. Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tommyleea
Another question, that probably can't be answered, but looking for maybe the first place to look. When I back out of the garage, there is a small drop in the cement, maybe 1 inch. When I go over this drop, I hear a..something is loose somwhere noise. I was thinking strut mounts, struts themselves, or ball joints. Is one problem more common than the other? 124K, I will probably end up doing the whole front end anyway, just curious. I guess you could describe it as a clunk noise. I am going at a very slow speed. Thanks
Yeah, me too. I've looked and shook and can't make it do the sound when I have it up on jack stands. All sorts of bushings in there so I'm just going to start with control arms and go from there. I hear it in the back sometimes as well. Nothing looks broken so it's just worn/dried out rubber I'm guessing.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I had that problem a few times and it was worn out joints on either the tie rod ends or the control arms. Replacing them solves it. You can buy upgraded control arms that won't wear out as fast.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I had that problem a few times and it was worn out joints on either the tie rod ends or the control arms. Replacing them solves it. You can buy upgraded control arms that won't wear out as fast.
My thought was to start with the upper control arms and see what that does. Baby steps rather than a whole rebuild kit.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
My thought was to start with the upper control arms and see what that does. Baby steps rather than a whole rebuild kit.
You can see if the bushings and joints are going bad without replacing them. Jack up one wheel and see if it moves up and down, or side to side. If it does, you probably need new something. 2nd step, remove the wheel and visually inspect the rubber bushings. If they are torn, or deformed or badly worn, then go ahead and get new ones. Sometimes you don't have to do them all, though once you are in there you might as well. For the tie rod end, you can see it above your tire. There is a rubber gasket pointing downward that frequently splits. Water gets into the ball joint and rusts it out which is a common cause of this clunk. If the rubber is split and most especially if you see or feel rusty water around it, then you should replace the tie rod end. This is a very simple job and will cost you about $120 at most shops.

Your car will need a new alignment after replacing any of the above parts.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
You can see if the bushings and joints are going bad without replacing them. Jack up one wheel and see if it moves up and down, or side to side. If it does, you probably need new something. 2nd step, remove the wheel and visually inspect the rubber bushings. If they are torn, or deformed or badly worn, then go ahead and get new ones. Sometimes you don't have to do them all, though once you are in there you might as well. For the tie rod end, you can see it above your tire. There is a rubber gasket pointing downward that frequently splits. Water gets into the ball joint and rusts it out which is a common cause of this clunk. If the rubber is split and most especially if you see or feel rusty water around it, then you should replace the tie rod end. This is a very simple job and will cost you about $120 at most shops.

Your car will need a new alignment after replacing any of the above parts.
Thanks Bobby, the visual inspection reveals no defects. I will look at that ball joint tomorrow but I think the rubber is intact. I will try the physical test at that time as well. Thanks for the tutorial. I appreciate it. I do my own work so I don't have to shell out for the hourly shop rate.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 04-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you have a clunk, but everything feels tight when you lift the car to inspect, suspect the rear lower control arm. A bad bushing on the inner is very hard to detect.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Me too

Same issue, same MY. Glad you asked and got the info--thanks! I'd like to hear an update when you get the job done/figured it out.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If you have a clunk, but everything feels tight when you lift the car to inspect, suspect the rear lower control arm. A bad bushing on the inner is very hard to detect.
Do you think it's a re-bush or replace the arm deal? I am having trouble locating the rear suspension parts. Any ideas on a good source?

Thanks for the help 4D4 and Bobby, mucho appreciado! (just a little Spanish lingo thrown in there for diversity)