A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Thanks for the friendship, auf wiedersehen!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Thanks for the friendship, auf wiedersehen!

I had a realization last week after helping my son trade his old TDI VW Golf for a manual transmission 2023 GTI. It was that he was about to have more fun than I was having driving a car. Hmmmm. Maybe I had lost my focus a little. The most fun I ever had driving a car was a 1997 Acura Integra GSR, a pocket rocket with a fantastic 5 speed and a simple interior featuring well molded cloth seats. No backseat worth mentioning but not too many times needed, either.

When the TDI’s came along I had a wonderful 10+ years with both 3.0 and 2.0 TDI models from VW and Audi. Great engine and I developed a taste for Audi refinement. It seemed natural to move into an allroad when I decided the Q5 was too much vehicle. And to be honest there is absolutely no area where the vehicle disappoints. It’s quiet as a bank vault (with laminated glass), gets fine mpg’s, the matrix headlights are amazing when enabled. The engine needed the JB4 but once installed was certainly adequate. The only real criticisms are the handling feeling a bit spongey even when in sport, and a steering control that only adjusts how hard it is to turn the wheel not whether you are in meaningful contact with the road surface.

After driving son’s GTI I had a flashback to the good old days. —And decided, while I still have full use of both hands and both feet, to get a GTI manual transmission of my own. Cloth seats, a stereo not nearly as good as the B&O (but much better than the 1997 Acura). No heads-up display, the cargo cover doesn’t automatically retract, no fine grain wood, no laminated glass. But a nicely planted, not-at-all spongey feeling driving experience. Just in time, too, since VW recently announced that 2024 is the last year of the manual GTI and Golf R. I’ll be completing the trade Friday or Saturday.

I want all you fine ladies and gentlemen to know what a pleasure it has been to share a forum with you all. Maybe I’ll be back after a little while. It’s a great community. Oh, and I’ll be looking to sell the JB4 along to a good new home.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mythdoc:
AudiEye (02-08-2024), cshumphries (02-08-2024), lowjdml (02-08-2024), mikeru (02-08-2024), Muddypond (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Enjoy what you want while you can. Just saw Toby Keith has now checked out, at only 62 iirc. No point in "I'll get around to it one day, maybe". My brother in law has already had a knee surgery. But if his Q7 came in 6MT, he still would have gotten it. And things aren't getting any better with time, with all the nanny "assists" and whatever limiters might be coming, etc. It's been nice having your respectful contributions over the duration, and don't hesitate to drop on back by when it's time to give that knee a rest.
The following users liked this post:
Mythdoc (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:16 AM
Mendoza line user

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations on the GTI! I’m happy for you. When purchasing the Allroad this past Fall, I was considering the Golf R as well. I don’t have buyers remorse, but I still think about the Golf for the reasons you mention that swayed you. Safe travels and enjoy your new ride.
Mythdoc (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss my GTI every day…. Have a blast!
Mythdoc (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:18 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts

My last car with a manual transmission was a Subaru WRX. Lots of fun, especially in the snow. In some ways it's what directed me to look at Audi when I replaced it. AWD just works too well in winter where I live to have a car with without it. Maybe I'll rethink that when I retire to some place that doesn't see snow in a year or two. Best of luck with the GTI and with the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeru:
lowjdml (02-15-2024), Mythdoc (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

My introduction to performance cars was my girlfriend's 1964 Corvette Stingray, fuel-injected 375HP. Nothing on the road to match it.

My 2017 allroad is quicker and handles better. I can live without shifting for myself!
Mythdoc (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I was recently looking at the Golf R but the low ground clearance and mpg being less than my A4 makes it a pass.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Enjoy the new ride. Post pics.
Mythdoc (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Congrats on the new ride. I was recently looking at the Golf R but the low ground clearance and mpg being less than my A4 makes it a pass.
The GTI gets very similar mileage (based on my usage with my son’s model) to my current A4 Allroad. Which has been great.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the move to a GTI. I’ll admit i’m a bit envious as I have always admired the manual equipped GTI. Previously owned Golf Sportwagon as well as Turbo Beetle but this time around I needed the extra space/cargo capacity and ease of use with the auto trans so the allroad it is.
I’m fairly certain a manual equipped GTI or R model Golf will appear in my driveway at some point in the future though it will have to be a used model since most all manufacturers are ignoring our screams to continue offering us self shifters……reluctantly have to say the times are a changing.
Enjoy the new ride once it arrives!
Mythdoc (02-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Thanks for the friendship, auf wiedersehen!