A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Revisiting Care of Painted Matte Cladding

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Removing wax staining is always challenging. I'd try an APC and a tooth brush and see if you can scrub it off, gently. There's also 3M's Adhesive, Wax, and Tar Remover. Tough to buy now, banned in many states due to VOC. A "Prep Sol" type of product (found at most auto parts stores) would also work.

I'm still using CarPro Dlux. Outstanding product, long life with a consistent appearance. I'm sure there are a couple of other winners out there. I stick with what is known to me and working well.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Simple Green or Dish Soap

I'd go with Simple Green or dish soap on a small brush.

As the OP, I was hoping for a solution made specifically for this cladding which first appeared on the B9 Allroad. This isn't the typical black/dark gray plastic you'll find on other makes or prior generations of Audis. I remember when the new Allroad first came out, one of the reviewers had a long discussion with the Audi design team and it was mentioned that Audi had spent a ton of money to develop this cladding, but then the reviewer somewhat sarcastically mentioned that you could still pay the $1K to have it painted over... Of course now, approx 3 years later, I can't find that review on line.

The cladding is pretty much indestructable with its krinkly texture and mostly matte black paint with a hint of metallic flake...

I had the car ceramic coated right after purchase and was quite happy ... until after the first time I had run it through a high-powered touchless car wash and notice all the over-runs of ceramic coating which had found its way on to the cladding (and which they had hidden with a detailing product which immediately washed off.

So, I've tried both dish soap and water and simple green and have found they will work ... but it takes a lot of scrubbing. Some patches are gone, others are somewhat diminished. But as you know, once ceramic coating bonds itself to paint it is hard to get off, especially with the rough finish of this newest-generation cladding.

The good news is that the cladding itself needs little care. I've never put any kind of product on it and have scrubbed the heck out of some areas, but it is still consistently black...

BOTTOM LINE: I'd just go with a cleaning product and a brush to remove the wax residue... The cladding can pretty much take care of itself.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks very much for the additional insights.

I have to say I have been impressed by the durability of the cladding so far. After what felt like a minor touch of the right rear piece on a metal bar while parking a year or so ago, I found not a single whit of damage to the finish and the cladding itself remain(ed) firmly attached.

Will have a shot with Dawn first and possible addition of CarPro Dlux depending on the first step outcome.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had success removing wax from the wheel cladding with Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner and a toothbrush. But that was immediately after applying the wax, so it didn't have a chance to set. I sprayed the cleaner on the toothbrush head and lightly scrubbed.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Simple Green removes ceramic residue on plastic and Allroad cladding

Did a bit of internet searching and found out that Simple Green has a base pH and as such will dissolve ceramics. So, with a spray bottle of extra strength Simple Green MAX and a washcloth and toothbrush, I was able to remove the ceramic residue left on the odd piece of plastic trim and my A4 Allroad's claddiing. Takes multiple attempts, but it does get it. Followed up each pass wiith soap and water as Simple Green will also dissolve paint in the long-term (ACK). Cladding now looks great.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Giving this thread a second look. I would say that you can use the same coating on the cladding, but I think it's better to use a coating designed for plastics. CQUARTZ DLUX is simple to apply and leaves a beautiful satin finish. I've used it before and using it now.