A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Apple CarPlay Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay Issues

I just got my first Audi - a 2021 A4. I love how it drives but the interface with the Apply Carplay is driving me nuts...The myAudi app seems to interfere with it, almost like it's fighting with it. Several times in the last few days I have been using my phone for google maps and at the worst moments, the audi screen with go blank and reboot, causing me to reconnect to my phone. My phone still thinks it's connected to the car, so all I get is the step by step directions, which is next to worthless, and dangerous since I have to find my phone to see where to go next. It takes a minute for the audi to find the phone again, and sometimes it doesn't find it at all, just giving error messages. Any ideas for fixes?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

My habit is to kill apps on my phone when I’m done using them, so I never have the MyAudi app open. Honestly, I can’t even remember what that app is used for.

I have noticed that CarPlay has a difficult time launching on the vehicle if a relevant CarPlay app isn’t already open on the phone (like Google Maps or the texting app). If I open one of the CarPlay apps on my phone before plugging it into the car, then CarPlay launches consistently.

So if having an app open on your phone triggers a connection with the car, you may want to kill (i.e. swipe up and away) the problematic MyAudi app on your phone before connecting it to the vehicle.

Last edited by SDakota; 06-08-2021 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2DaLab (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeah, it’s not a good interface and the Audi app seems to be part of the trouble for sure. On a long road trip it got buggy to the point that I can no longer send destinations to my car from the app, so I am wondering what it is actually good for except spying on me and monetizing my data. And yes, the Carplay interface is not consistent. When I press the microphone button, about a quarter of the time I get Siri, and the rest of the time I get the Audi interface, which is hobbled by horrible voice recognition.

the only reason I keep trying the Audi interface is because I’d like to have turn by turn on the head up display.

I’m going to delete the app from my phone and see what happens next. I may also resort to wired Carplay. It’s a shame we are still futzing around with stuff when the tech is so capable.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
When I press the microphone button, about a quarter of the time I get Siri, and the rest of the time I get the Audi interface, which is hobbled by horrible voice recognition.
On my A5, a quick press of the button starts the Audi voice recognition. Pressing for 2-3 seconds starts Siri. (I see you’ve been driving Audis a lot longer than I have, so you probably already knew that.)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Today I deleted my Audi connect profile entirely. I was getting the black CarPlay screen that others have reported. Still wasn’t able to upload destinations and didn’t want to do the signing off, signing on, changing PIN routine that the dealer showed me last time. So, I deleted my profile and started over, manually entered my destination. Then, on three separate occasions the Audi nav gave me the exact wrong turn direction — twice in Atlanta, and one in Chattanooga. I’m talking “turn left” when I needed to turn right, and so on.

Not so magically, I stopped having Carplay issues after I did that. Yes, I lost the beautiful Google earth maps, and the ability to put turn by turn onto the head up display, but if the indicated turn is wrong, I’m not missing something essential, am I?

Still love my Allroad but a little disappointed in the MMI right now.

Last edited by Mythdoc; 08-09-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Still love my Allroad but a little disappointed in the MMI right now.
Haha! Welcome to life in the Auto Union. I've been a little disappointed in the MMI for two cars now...
Old 08-12-2021, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly I wonder if it is not Carplay/AA that causes the fuss with the MMI. I had terrible issues in my MK7.5 Sportwagen with Android Auto, and just decided to always plug in rather than go wireless in by B9 Allroad. I quite like the MMI actually.

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2021, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

From my experience, best not to set up a BT connection with your phone and the MMI. I think that causes the conflict. CarPlay is intiated with a BT connection and then switches to a wireless internet connection (which is why the music sounds much better over wireless Carplay than through BT). After I deleted my BT connection between my iPhone and the MMI I have had no issues.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:13 AM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have there been any worthwhile updates to the MMI? I have tons of little mmi/airplay bugs here and there, though nothing a phone reboot doesn't fix for at least a while. Radio can be a bit twitchy too, with that not-so-great touch pad for the stations.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I first enter the destination in MMI for turn-by-turn information and map in virtual cockpit. Then connect my phone, by wire, and display WAZE on MMI for traffic.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay Issues