A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

A8 to A4 allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it is definately smaller in a "what have I done" kinda way. My ex father-in-law just traded his A8 for an A6 and told me that he hates it. After driving A8s for his past few cars, he can tell he stepped from a flagship into a mid-sized sedan. I was worried that dropping from an A8 to an A4 would have a similar effect on me, but it doesn't because its an apples and oranges difference. The standard seats in the Allroad may have been a deal breaker because they feel like they were designed for women, or people with very short legs, and made the car feel like it was small in a way that didn't fit. The sports seats make all the difference in the world for me, it still feels like a small car, but it's comfortable. It also feels bigger than a standard A4 because of the ride height and more open cabin due to the hatch back and panoramic roof.

The kids are small, 4 and 5, so its not like I'm cramming teens in the back. They say they like this car more, although it is obviously narrower with less leg room. I also feel I can't have my seat as far back as I would really like because of the car seat behind me, but I haven't heard any complaints yet. They are more annoyed that I can't change the color on the ambient lighting.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
. The standard seats in the Allroad may have been a deal breaker because they feel like they were designed for women, or people with very short legs, and made the car feel like it was small in a way that didn't fit. The sports seats make all the difference in the world for me, it still feels like a small car, but it's comfortable. It also feels bigger than a standard A4 because of the ride height and more open cabin due to the hatch back and panoramic roof.

Coming from the A4 into the Allroad I agree with it feeling "more spacious" than the A4 - not by much, but even my wife noticed it. Regarding the standard A4 seats, you nailed it. I am only 5'6" but when I sit in the non sport seats - in the A4 or Allroad, the front edge of the seat is several inches behind my knee, whereas with the sport seats, you have the adjustable thigh extensions to offer support. Once again, seating comfort is a very individual thing, and others would differ with my assessment, that is why it is critical to sit/drive in both seats before making a decision.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank again for the overview. Right now I’m trying to decide what to do. I’ll have my A8 3 year’s this coming May. It only has 26000 miles on it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but keep thinking about what’s next. I posted something to that end on the D4 forum seeking advice on either A) payoff my car and run it with no car payment, or B) change it up to an allroad or a Jeep or even a Macan. Common thread with all of those is versatility. If the A8 lacks anything it’s that! Any advice on this forum is appreciated too.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are leasing, I would suggest not buying it out. My 2011 was an early D4, so it may have had more gremlins that later years, but all A8s get pricey after a while. I got my car with an extended warranty, and I don't drive much, so I thought it would be fine for the full 7 years of warranty, but it wasn't. After about 3 years, it started going into the shop more often than it should. The first time was just for the motor that directed the air on the far passanger vent from the passanger to the windshield for defrost, that motor was $912 (covered under the exteded warranty which started the week it went out). This year alons, I spent: $1300 on tires, $2500 on pads and rotors, $1050 on spark plugs, and a few hundred on additves to get rid of csrbon build up.

I originally was going to buy an off lease Cayenne S for my next car but the maintenance nightmare of the A8 scared me off. I decided to lease the Allroad just in case I ran into issues. If I decide to buy it out, how much could the maintenance on an A4 possibly cost?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought the A8 up front so no lease to get out of. Just a loan on the car. Can decide which is the better play. No payment after payoff is nice. That only works if I keep the car at least another 2 years. The other option would be to lease a new allroad for presumably less than my current payment and walk out with a check for my equity less inception fees on the lease.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving this thread. I went from various Audis and wagons to an A8L 4.0T and, as much as I love this land yacht, it just isn't very practical and now I am back looking at Allroads.

Couple of concerns... yea the 2.0 is great. I have driven it in the Macan, A4, etc but I am not sure I can mentally drop $50k+ on a car with a 4-cylinder.

Rear legroom is a concern but I don't drive enough adults around to really matter. Wish Audi had the regular (or RS) Avant in the US. That would solve a lot of problems.

I am considering the new V60 wagon from Volvo. Plaid seats? Yes! https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-volvo-...-wi-1825709657

Originally Posted by kobanna
Now that I have had 2 weeks in the Allroad, I have decided that I can't really compare the Allroad to the A8, they are too different. I will say that I love both cars, but the Allroad is a lot more pratical for me, still fun to drive, and beautiful to look at in its own right. Since I bought the A8, I have had 2 kids and a new job that requires parking in a garage downtown. Even though I had a SWB A8, it was still a road boat for 90% of the driving that I did and lacked any functionality for a family hauler. There is nothing like 2 kids climbing into a German flagship after a muddy soccer practice, and just trry to put a stroller or wagon in the back. On the other hand, for about 4 months I had to commute to another city once a week that was 700 miles round trip. I drove most of the time because there is nothing like an A8 on the open road.
Now that I spend most of my time trying to fit in parking spaces made for compact cars, or in carpool lines, I am loving the Allroad. The front suspension on my A8 was replaces 3 times in 45k miles because of the terrible roads here, the Allroad handles it much better, and I'm not dragging my nose on parking blocks, or opening doors that scrape on sidewalks. I feel better knowing that I'm not trashing a $90k car every time I leave my house, especially since my undercarriage doesnt scrape on my driveway anymore.
The Allroad is small and light, it doesn't have a giant engine or that rock solid feel, but I love it. I swore off small cars after a 330ci I had a decade ago, so I was skeptical, but this car isn't in the same league. It does so much right, there isn't anything to really complain about, other than wishing it has the 3.0 engine.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Going from a 2011 A8 to a 2018 Allroad is like going from the Stonehenge (Allroad) to the 2020 (A8); the A8's technology is still far superior. Then comfort.... the Allroad feels sloooooow, with pretty bad ride dynamics even is Dynamic.
Compare an A8 to MB E63S wagon and then you are talking more of an apples to apples.
I like the Allroad, but not to replace the E63s, A8 by any means.

Last edited by GT2RS; 05-07-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT2RS
Going from a 2011 A8 to a 2018 Allroad is like going from the Stonehenge (Allroad) to the 2020 (A8); the A8's technology is still far superior. Then comfort.... the Allroad feels sloooooow, with pretty bad ride dynamics even is Dynamic.
Compare an A8 to MB E63S wagon and then you are talking more of an apples to apples.
I like the Allroad, but not to replace the E63s, A8 by any means.
In the US the new Allroad has the updated interior and tech while the new D5 isn't even here yet. Yes, I agree you can't really compare these cars... this thread is more about changing from one to the other.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had my 2017 Prestige w/Sport seats just over a year it is now the go-to car for the family on long trips over our (actually pretty damn comfortable) Honda Pilot elite. It has a nice amount of room because it's a wagon and my two boys who are 11 and 14 haven't complained once about the legroom in the back. For reference, I am 6' and my oldest is about 5'8" at the moment and fits behind me. I do drive in a more sporty position versus the seat pushed way back so seats and seat position will play a factor. If my sons end up taller than me it will definitely be cozy. As for the comparing the A8 to the A4 allroad it is apples to oranges. You are getting less refined vehicle with a nosier 4 banger, but is still has enough oomph to get out of the way compared to other cars I've owned with more cylinders, is super easy to park, and still elegant. Another bonus for me is that the prestige models came with acoustic side class that at the time was only also available on the A8 and because of that, anyone who rides in my car for the first time always comments on how nice the car is and how quiet and comfortable it is.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Thank again for the overview. Right now I’m trying to decide what to do. I’ll have my A8 3 year’s this coming May. It only has 26000 miles on it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but keep thinking about what’s next. I posted something to that end on the D4 forum seeking advice on either A) payoff my car and run it with no car payment, or B) change it up to an allroad or a Jeep or even a Macan. Common thread with all of those is versatility. If the A8 lacks anything it’s that! Any advice on this forum is appreciated too.
\

From and A8 to a Jeep! Really why would you do that to yourself. LOL

if the Allroad is in the medieval times compared to ride, comfort and technology the Jeep would be about 2 seconds after the big bang.

I just got the Allroad and the ACC is just plain scary in this car.
  • for example if you are going 45mph and there is a car stopped in a red light this thing will not stop!
  • the gap between cars in traffic jam mode is just way too big (yes I have adjusted it to the minimum) so everyone pulls in front of you which defeats the purpose
I will take it to the dealer and if this is how the ACC is supposed to work then they can have it back. Too bad, I wanted to love the car

Quick Reply: A8 to A4 allroad?