A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

A4 allroad mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 allroad mods?

I've been driving a '15 Golf R since, well, '15. As much as I love it, I'm going to sell/trade-in this car soon before it loses a lot of value.

I think I'm going to end up with a CPO A4 allroad, as I could use a bit more utility as I head into retirement from teaching. But I'll obviously miss the zip and handling of my R. I had a C5 allroad for years before the R and loved it, but think that the A4 will be a better fit for me than the seemingly much larger A6 allroad.

Enough backstory...now to my questions: I have seen some lowered allroads around (one lives across the street from me). How difficult/expensive is it to have this done, and what 'level' of lowering can result in a wagon that is still serviceable in snow? Secondly, I know that APR ECU mods are popular with VW products...but I don't see a lot available for Audi on their website. Does anyone mod A4 allroads? I would want a bit more power, but also a bit more induction noise and exhaust rasp...but haven't found many options online for intake/exhaust mods.

And lastly, if you think that the A6 allroad is a hands-down better choice than the A4, please register your opinion in the comments.

Cheers

Old 05-10-2024, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,638 Posts

C8.0 A6 allroad (MY20-MY23) vs B9.5 A4 allroad (MY20-MY24) is simply larger vs smaller vehicle, and the differences in the interior and interfaces between those two class of vehicles. Driving each should quickly impress upon you which you personally prefer. MY20+ A4 and MY21+ A6 will both be MIB3 infotainment system. MY20 A6 will be MIB2.5. If you have some specific requirements of the infotainment capabilities, you'd have to look at those questions individually. I do know the A6 has the option for the disc player in the glovebox. The B9.5 A4 will have no means of external audio input except the streaming Bluetooth interface and the USB ports. MY21+ A4 will have the 12v MHEV 2.0T engines; tuning options will be hard to find. The C8.0 A6 allroad uses the 3.0T engine (twin scroll turbo, not supercharged). If you need that, driving it will point that out quickly. Both vehicles use quattro "ultra", similar to Haldax. Real quattro with a Torsen center diff is gone from the non sport models. The B9 A4 allroad uses the same suspension structure as the normal vehicles. So you could simply replace the springs and dampers (removing the spaced upper spring mount in the rear) and put in either A4 standard or A4 sport components, or whatever aftermarket. A6 allroad gets the air suspension.
The following users liked this post:
BradfordAudiA4 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 337 Likes on 259 Posts

and what 'level' of lowering can result in a wagon that is still serviceable in snow?

How much snow? It doesn't take much of a snowfall before my 2021 alroad is dragging the mud flaps and ploughing snow with the front lip. Scooping up and packing snow around that low hung inter cooler is an issue long before forward traction becomes an issue. I saw a new R6 Avant at the local dealership and was thinking that it would do an excellent job of emulating a snow plow after a significant snow fall.

Depending on how new the A6 is that you might be considering, be aware that Audi ditched the ***** / switches for climate control on the A6 at some point and replaced them with a touch screen. That is a downer for me; but, you may or may not like that. I have not seen a newer A4 so I don't know whether they have also ditched the ***** and switches.

The A4 alroad back seat is purgatory for adults over 5' 10" and with the back seats down it does not have a huge amount of carrying capacity. A child safety seat in the back seat would be a definite hassle. Despite the outside dimensions, on the inside the A4 is rather small. A Subaru Impreza hatchback has much better back seats and about the same useful cargo capacity (not so keen about the rest of the Impreza). I used to have a Volvo 745 turbo wagon (same length as the A4 ) and in terms of carrying stuff it makes the A4 alroad look like a sub compact. That R6 Avant had a much nicer back seat (once you got in there) and the back cargo area definitely had more useable space so I expect the A6 alroad would be the same. If you really need room for more than two large adults or more cargo capacity the A6 alroad would be a better choice.

Horsepower aside, the A4 alroad is bigger and heavier than the Golf R so don't expect the same driving experience even if you could get a tune for the later DPAA engine. All recent A4s have the Ultra drivetrain so they really drive more like a front wheel drive car (definite understeer feeling) until the Ultra clutch engages and then you can wag the tail if you are so inclined. The A6 is even bigger and heavier than the A4. If the A6 alroad also has the same ultra drive train it probably will also have more of a front wheel drive under steer feel to it. The Golf R had that 4motion system and I don't know the bias was in that system.

If you attach any value to the Consumer Reports product reviews, the A4 used to have a better / much better than average reliability assessment. The A6 model was worse than average. Most of the A6 problems were due to electronics stuff.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

"sell it before it loses value"......

If you love the car, don't sell it. Your R is low. If you lower your Allroad, your back there.
Retire from teaching. Congrats. Why change vehicle?
You buying new or used?
Drive the all road for a while and see if you like the ride. Less zip but more comfort?
Personally I have gone from small, to mid and was a BMW Msport with Manual kind of guy.
Now I drive a Lexus LS500. ITs big, its fast, its quiet. Real quiet. You don't feel the speed.
Do I miss driving a manual? Sometimes. I love the comfort and vibe of the LS.
My point? Want to drive on rails or over the rails?
We also have small sports car as well for wife and I. This Allroad would be your only car?
A6 will give you greater refinement interior and smoother ride. It comes with a higher price of course.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Using NAR market model years,
MIB2, and the MLBevo platform, arrived with the introduction of the 4M Q7 and 8W A4 in MY17. The F5 A5 and FY Q5 continued that in MY18.
MIB2+ with touchscreen arrived with the introduction of the 4N A8 and 4K A6/A7 (no idea why they type the C8 A6 as 4A instead of 4K, someone messed up) and 4M Q8 in MY19. And then retrofit to the 4M Q7 with the MY20 facelift.
MIB3 with touchscreen arrived with the 8W A4 and F5 A5 facelift in MY20. It was extended to all other relevant Audi models in MY21 (FY Q5 facelift was MY21, not MY20 like the other B9 vehicles).
So the original 4M Q7 and the B9 vehicles have the familiar dash, with the dial replaced by the touchscreen for B9.5. While all the larger MLBevo vehicles have the dual screen configuration.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by fischgrape
I've been driving a '15 Golf R since, well, '15. As much as I love it, I'm going to sell/trade-in this car soon before it loses a lot of value.

I think I'm going to end up with a CPO A4 allroad, as I could use a bit more utility as I head into retirement from teaching. But I'll obviously miss the zip and handling of my R. I had a C5 allroad for years before the R and loved it, but think that the A4 will be a better fit for me than the seemingly much larger A6 allroad.

And lastly, if you think that the A6 allroad is a hands-down better choice than the A4, please register your opinion in the comments.

Cheers
I traded a 2018 VW All Track for a new a 2019 A4 allroad and liked it so much that I then traded a 2019 SQ5 for a new 2021 A6 allroad. Big fan of the Audi wagons.

Based on your comment about a bit more utility, I think the A4 is a better choice. The A6 is a fantastic touring car ... some time ago, Car and Driver stated it had the best ride of any car on the market ... just about everyone who has ridden in mine have commented on the smoothness of the ride. With that said, you can definitely feel the extra mass in the A6.

On the other hand, the A4 is much more nimble and tossable, and you don't lose a lot of room compared to the A6.