A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

TRACK DAY: Nelson Ledges Race Complex – July 2014 - 2013 Audi Allroad B8

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRACK DAY: Nelson Ledges Race Complex – July 2014 - 2013 Audi Allroad B8

My blog post/article can be found here:
TRACK DAY: Nelson Ledges Race Complex ? July 2014 | ari jay comet

And here are direct links to my YouTube videos:

Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Nicely done recording. Good lines and speed held as well.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Nicely done recording. Good lines and speed held as well.
Thanks. I was overall quite pleased with the car-- just wish I had better tires. I was easily able to over-brake them and cause ABS frequently. Also wish the car made 2x the power-- an S5 avant would be the ticket there... one can dream!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor

Good run!

The road condition looks scarier on video than in real life.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good videos. Did you have any problem with heat build up on brakes or engine?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Good videos. Did you have any problem with heat build up on brakes or engine?
Definitely on the brakes. I wasn't thrilled with the overall performance of the stock 320mm brakes and Hawk HPS pads. I've since upgraded to ECS 2pc 345 S4-sized rotors/carriers with EBC yellow pads. I'll have more to write about that in a future blog post, but yeah the stock brakes are not up to the task of hard lapping IMO.... as for the motor heat, I didn't record it so I can't speak to the specifics, but it did seem to heat-soak and lose power over the course of the day. However, as my times improved, the difference in benefits to tires and my confidence offset the reduced power in the straight-aways.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to be on the track Thursday. I've already replaced my front brakes, but will be interested in seeing how the new ones perform. Hoping for cooler weather!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
I'm going to be on the track Thursday. I've already replaced my front brakes, but will be interested in seeing how the new ones perform. Hoping for cooler weather!!!
First off--- fellow TREG owner here. I had a 2004 V8 and a 2012 TDI V6. Just FYI...

Secondly, when you say you replaced you brakes, what did you get? Just curious. And what track are you hitting? Would love to hear feedback as what you're running and how it performs in whatever conditions you have.

I'll be back on a road course in a few weeks to report on my results -- I now have the 2pc ECS S4 345mm rotors with EBC yellowstuff pads...
Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will be at High Plains Raceway east of Denver. Temps are expected to be in the upper 70's to low 80's.

I believe I have a set of StopTech pads and brakes (don't remember exactly - paperwork is at home).

When I had the brakes replaced by Hardey at Hardey's Motorwerks ---- I specifically mentioned that I'd like a set that was good for daily work and occasional track stuff. Hardey said he had just the set.

I am also running Yokohama YK520 all seasons. They're nearing the end of their live cycle, but they still grip better than the Pirelli's ever did.

I will update later this week.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe I have a set of StopTech pads and brakes (don't remember exactly - paperwork is at home).
I'll be curious to hear what you find on the paperwork. I know that StopTech makes rotors for our cars, but I don't know if they offer pads. I attempted the Hawk HPS pads but wasn't very impressed. I'm back for round two now in my most recent blog post HERE with new bigger rotors (different carriers) and more aggressive pads. I've put 1000+ street miles on with them and very happy. Track day soon...

I'd also love to know what sort of temps you see on your rotors at the track. If you have the desire and the time, you should snag a cheap temp sensor gun like I did (the one I bought is
THIS DEVICE THIS DEVICE
and I plan to use it for data collection at my next session. Would love to know your setup and compare, though obviously different tracks and areas of the country-- but still curious.

I am also running Yokohama YK520 all seasons. They're nearing the end of their live cycle, but they still grip better than the Pirelli's ever did.
If it makes you feel any better, I've been running on some Falken Azenis PT-722 UHP tires and they did okay on the track. Not sure how yours will be but I've always been a fan of Yoko tires in general. And in our cars at 2-tons of fun, you're bound to dislike most of the tires out there unless you spend a lot for a nice sticky XL-rated tire.

Be safe out there!

Quick Reply: TRACK DAY: Nelson Ledges Race Complex – July 2014 - 2013 Audi Allroad B8