A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Shady Dealer Service Department?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shady Dealer Service Department?

Took my 2013 Allroad in for 15K service today...dealer called and said the brake pads/rotors needed replacing, and also recommended replacing a couple tires - one has a gouge on the outside and the other a nail.

Few questions:

1. 15K miles seems absurdly low to have to replace pads/rotors. I've owned 5 A4s in the past 19 years - my last one (2011 Avant) I traded in with 22K miles - never had any non-warranty work on the car. FYI, I live in the same location, driving habits the same. We (my wife and I) do not have lead feet - most of driving is in hills and flats of the Westside of Los Angeles.

2. I took the car to a tire center, figuring I could plug the nail. The guy looked at it, took it between his fingers and popped it out. It was maybe a half inch tack, and was only about 1/8-1/16th of an inch into the tire - didn't break the seal. Is it possible the dealer put it there to generate sales? And why didn't they notice that it was only a tack? Also, the gouge is a non-issue per this tire guy and the staff at the dealer where I purchased my car.

Do my suspicions seem legitimate? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would consider dropping a dime on the dealer to Audi America. The last thing they want is a dealer out there screwing people. Crap flows a lot better downhill than up if you catch my meaning.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That has to be a great service department if they take the time to inspect the tread on all the tires...
Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manku
Took my 2013 Allroad in for 15K service today...dealer called and said the brake pads/rotors needed replacing, and also recommended replacing a couple tires - one has a gouge on the outside and the other a nail.

Few questions:

1. 15K miles seems absurdly low to have to replace pads/rotors. I've owned 5 A4s in the past 19 years - my last one (2011 Avant) I traded in with 22K miles - never had any non-warranty work on the car. FYI, I live in the same location, driving habits the same. We (my wife and I) do not have lead feet - most of driving is in hills and flats of the Westside of Los Angeles.

2. I took the car to a tire center, figuring I could plug the nail. The guy looked at it, took it between his fingers and popped it out. It was maybe a half inch tack, and was only about 1/8-1/16th of an inch into the tire - didn't break the seal. Is it possible the dealer put it there to generate sales? And why didn't they notice that it was only a tack? Also, the gouge is a non-issue per this tire guy and the staff at the dealer where I purchased my car.

Do my suspicions seem legitimate? Thanks in advance.
I had a similar experience at my audi dealer.

at 40k miles they told me I needed new brakes to the tune of $1100 because I had 3 mm left on the pads. - um, OK, how thick are they new? 6mm? they're half-worn and my lease gets me to 50k miles! Would you like to go screw yourself or should I call AoA and have them do it for you based on schitty math or outrageously expensive cost?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmmmm... I got 33k miles on my front pads. Got them and the rotors replaced at a german car shop in my town --- saved a few hundred bucks from what the dealer wanted.

As for the tires ---- just sounds like they were hoping to make a couple bucks. Not cool though.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I called Audi of America and complained...service department called me up, sent over a loaner and took my car in for a reinspection.

They are changing the front pads/rotors, and the tire with the nail --- all free!

Dealer couldn't have been more professional and courteous.

An aside, they loaned me a brand new A3 - fun little car, but at $38K+ extremely overpriced. Nearly 40K and no climate control?!?!