A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Future Engine Options/Changes for AR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Engine Options/Changes for AR?

I am curious if anyone has heard anything about possible availability of the 3.0T or other engines in the Allroad in the future? I previously owned an 03 Allroad and regret getting rid of it to this day. While I like the new A4 based version, I can't get beyond the 2.0T engine. It just seems underpowered to me. This is especially true when I drive my wife's Q5 ('13 Prestige 3.0T).

I really don't want to mess with engine mods and just wondering (hoping???) there might be some possibility of an engine upgrade in the future or better yet, an "S" version? I'd be all over that--thanks in advance if anyone happens to know anything.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I certainly don't know Audi's future Allroad plans but it would seem inevitable to offer engine options. Then again, in the US it's a low sales volume niche vehicle so perhaps not. I've only once seen another Allroad in my area since introduction.

At least there's no 2.0T badge on the back. Keep 'em guessing.

I really do find it more than adequate in all regimes of driving. Of course I too would wish for more power. It's what we enthusiasts always want.

Oh and there's no "A4" on the back either which there shouldn't be considering it's a derivative A4 body but A5 chassis.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hoping too that they put the 3.0 engine on the allroad. Anyway, I finally got the allroad and have also test-drove the 2013 Q5 with the 3.0 engine (similar to your wife's vehicle) and I have also owned a 2004 allroad.

My conclusion after my mountain trip with 3 persons in my 2013 allroad is that it is not underpowered. It is more powerful than my 2004 allroad and is very capable of climbing very steep mountain roads with no hesitation. The powerful torque of the 2.0 engine really holds it own at steep inclines even at full load. Two days ago, just for the heck of it, I test the allroad to go pass 100 MPH and it did so effortlessly.

The allroad's handling is also much better, much sportier .. than the taller Q5. I was expecting more body roll but not much - I was surprised how the allroad hugs the twisty and curving roads. Driving the Q5 and Q7 really feels like being in a cushy SUV. When driving through twisty and curving roads, I'm sure the allroad can out-maneuver the 3.0 Q5, which sits higher. The Q5 will need to go slower on twist and turns - the Q5 has more body roll than the allroad.

I don't like the sound of the 4-cylinder engine, but I cant help but admire how better this engine is compared to the 1st gen 2004 allroad. I would pick up the new allroad over the old one anytime. If you look at the 2002-2005 allroad forum, you could see a couple of threads about the air suspension ride height mechanism failing - definitely not a keeper, so I would rather have a fix suspension as it is more stable overtime. And I'm getting around 31 MPG on straight highway driving. However, the new A6-based allroad is an entirely different luxury animal at $65,000 - $70,000 if brought here. Now that would beat the ride of the A4 allroad.

Now, if you compare the 2.0 allroad vs. the 3.0 Q5, the 3.0 Q5 is only slightly faster on a straight line drag race. On real world roads with plenty of twist and turns, that's another matter. The lower center of gravity of the allroad will outmaneuver the 3.0 Q5. Recent reviews I've seen, the numbers are:

2013 Audi Q5 3.0 ----> 5.9 - 6.0 seconds 0-60 MPH
2013 Audi allroad 2.0 --> 6.3 - 6.4 seconds 0-60 MPH
2013 Audi Q5 2.0 -----> 7.0 - 7.1 seconds 0-60 MPH

But if you ask me, I wish they would bring the A6-base allroad or the RS4 Avant.
But those Avants would cost upward of $65,000 or even $70,000. I got my A4 allroad for no more than $38,000.

If they bring a 3.0 engine to the A4 allroad in 2015-2016, expect a brand new allroad 3.0 with Premium+ and loaded with Navigation, Sports Package, Pearl Paint, etc. at the $57,000 - $58,000 price range instead of the $49,000 - $50,000. Instead of spending that much more, I would just get a Statis chip at $1,000-$1,200 for the 2.0 turbo engine, since they say Statis provides a warranty. Probably, the 0-60 time of the 2.0 allroad will go from 6.4 seconds to 5.5 seconds with a Statis ECU upgrade.

Sine I traded my A6 Avant for this new allroad, what felt short is not the engine, but the luxurious ride the A6 Avant provides. The ride of this new allroad sits in between the smooth A6 Avant (drives like its on rails) and the harsher air-ride of the 2004 allroad.

Originally Posted by Cobalt03
I am curious if anyone has heard anything about possible availability of the 3.0T or other engines in the Allroad in the future? I previously owned an 03 Allroad and regret getting rid of it to this day. While I like the new A4 based version, I can't get beyond the 2.0T engine. It just seems underpowered to me. This is especially true when I drive my wife's Q5 ('13 Prestige 3.0T).

I really don't want to mess with engine mods and just wondering (hoping???) there might be some possibility of an engine upgrade in the future or better yet, an "S" version? I'd be all over that--thanks in advance if anyone happens to know anything.

Last edited by ayap; 11-02-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

The new allroad is based on the B8 A4 chassis and uses some A5 suspension parts (I cant recall which they are other than the higher wheel offset).

I haven't heard anything beside the 9hp increase but I would be surprised if more options come our way.

Do I wish we had a 3.0TDI option? Yes. But part of me also winces at the thought of more understeer with a more massive engine hanging out in front. I would prefer a 2.0TDI option to be honest.

The little 2.0TFSI engine has plenty of power, especially torque. Yeah, its not quick off the line but it pulls well. The transmission really helps make the car. This drivetrain is just aces! I have gotten it up to 120, going up a slight gradient and was amazed at how effortlessly the needle passed 100... 110... etc...

Everyone I know that has compared a Q5 to the allroad has put the allroad on top when it comes to driving dynamics.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The Allroad employs the A5 chassis. Its extra width is accommodated by the plastic wheel well trim, which also serves aesthetics. The rims themselves do not have an aggressive offset. View one next to an A4 Avant and it's readily apparent.

The all-aluminum 3.0T is about the same weight as the 2.0T iron/aluminum and therefore it wouldn't add appreciable front end weight, but the diesel certainly would.

The current 2013 Tiptronic transmission/software is much better than my prior 2011 so surprisingly good off the line, but I would have gone 3.0T if it were available.

Originally Posted by spl1011
The new allroad is based on the B8 A4 chassis and uses some A5 suspension parts (I cant recall which they are other than the higher wheel offset).

I haven't heard anything beside the 9hp increase but I would be surprised if more options come our way.

Do I wish we had a 3.0TDI option? Yes. But part of me also winces at the thought of more understeer with a more massive engine hanging out in front. I would prefer a 2.0TDI option to be honest.

The little 2.0TFSI engine has plenty of power, especially torque. Yeah, its not quick off the line but it pulls well. The transmission really helps make the car. This drivetrain is just aces! I have gotten it up to 120, going up a slight gradient and was amazed at how effortlessly the needle passed 100... 110... etc...

Everyone I know that has compared a Q5 to the allroad has put the allroad on top when it comes to driving dynamics.

Last edited by Huey52; 11-03-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
The Allroad employs the A5 chassis. Its extra width is accommodated by the plastic wheel well trim, which also serves aesthetics. The rims themselves do not have an aggressive offset. View one next to an A4 Avant and it's readily apparent.

The all-aluminum 3.0T is about the same weight as the 2.0T iron/aluminum and therefore it wouldn't add appreciable front end weight, but the diesel certainly would.

The current 2013 Tiptronic transmission/software is much better than my prior 2011 so surprisingly good off the line, but I would have gone 3.0T if it were available.
The allroad shares suspension components with the A5. The sheetmetal (minus flares) is an A4. Definitions of chassis often get confused but i'm interested in any info you have to support that. Its all on the MLB platform I believe anyway.
Some links from a google search:
http://suvs.about.com/od/aud1/fr/2013-Audi-Allroad.htm
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ad_first_test/

Stock wheel offset on the allroad is 26mm. Stock for the previous avant was 35. It's more aggressive, contributing to the wider A5-like track.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52

what the other guy said: it's just an A4 avant that swipes the control arms for more girth. nothing special.

I have said and will always say that Audi bringing over the Allorad with the 2.0T was a rediculous mistake, and I often use it to point out just stupid such a smart car brand can be.

The Allroad's biggest competitor is actually the Q5, which is bigger, can be had with myriad more options, and is cheaper.

Audi could have positioned the Allroad with the 3.0T engine, only, and it would have cost them NOTHING to certify this motor instead of the garden variety 2.0T. Since the A4 only comes with the 2.0T, it would have differentiated the Allroad from the A4 while also giving it a boost/appeal/differentiator against the 2.0T Q5. The allroad SHOULD HAVE BEEN positioned as a slightly de-tuned dirt road barnstomer version of the S4, but Audi botched that one good.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Allroad is a fairly low volume vehicle, at least in North America. It seems like Audi wouldn't add engine options at least until volume can justify it. Sales are showing nice increases so maybe down the line the choices will be there.

October sales were 437 +6.3%
YTD thru October were 4,558 +103%
Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The new Allroad is a fairly low volume vehicle, at least in North America. It seems like Audi wouldn't add engine options at least until volume can justify it. Sales are showing nice increases so maybe down the line the choices will be there.

Appreciate all the replies and insight as I try and "get back into" an Allroad!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob

don't bank on it.
the A4 is their highest volume vehicle and still comes with only one engine option, too. (unless you count the S4)

Quick Reply: Future Engine Options/Changes for AR?