A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Another New Guy from New Mexico Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New Guy from New Mexico Looking for Advice

Yep. Another New Mexico newcomer here. My user name is a CB handle from the '70s, which tells you I'm an old guy. I just ordered a 2015 allroad; expecting September delivery. This will be our 9th Audi/VW product since 1981. My cousin will get our current 2007 A4 3.2Q. Our other cars are Porsches, a 1982 944 and a 2007 Cayman S. Once I figure out how to get past the "Lil Tiger does not have a garage" message, I'll post a couple of pix.

I'm intending to build an "allroad S" out of this car. Nothing terribly radical, just an S4-equivalent suspension and brakes, and enough engine tuning to get around 265 HP, or about the same as a TT "S" model. This needs to be a reliable daily driver on pavement (OK, maybe a little smooth gravel once in a while), so I'm passing by the enticing stories of Stage 3+ ARP/MTM systems and their 425+ HP claims. I hope to find some advice here on what products and vendors have well thought-out products and systems.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You'll want to do a downpipe (or a full turbo-back exhaust) to get a "Stage 2" level chip to achieve some healthier horsepower. APR's software (which will support E85 fuel) is coming soon, so stay tuned for that. Should offer enough power to keep most of us happy on the stock turbo within reliable limits.

Brake-wise the S4 actually has the same calipers as the A4/allroad. It just gives you a better clamp dynamic by going 25mm larger (345 vs 320 mm diameter). You can buy a $400 kit from ECS Tuning that upgrades the rotors and carriers, but re-uses your existing calipers. That would be my suggestion -- or spend big $$ for something like RS5 brakes, but be prepared to crack open your piggy bank.

Suspension-wise, the wagon / avant is different from the sedan, so just bolting on S4 suspension might not work so great. IMO this is where money talks--- I just did the ST coils which are like the KW V1-- and they are good but hardly amazing. If you want the best you have to pay for it--- Bilsteins will be the route to go, but again, $$

Best of luck.... I had the same attitude and ended up with this:
http://arijaycomet.com/2014/06/26/dr...-audi-allroad/

S4 style mirrors, A7 wheels, but stock brakes. It isn't quite an S-line Allroad but it was close enough for me.. I'm happy with the results. Cheers!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck. I'm doing Alu Kreuz and Revo ECU is nearest me, so I'll probably do that. Was thinking of lowering the AR, but I like bringing it to the mountains, so I'll the current ride height. I suppose you can lower yours since you're in New Mexico which I think is mostly flat lands.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Nice
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks for Advice

Thanks for the comments about my Allroad plans. I appreciate them and have implemented several.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lil Tiger
Thanks for the comments about my Allroad plans. I appreciate them and have implemented several.
Hey Lil Tiger .. can you share what you have implemented. And post some pics.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

To this point, we've installed free-flow intake (APR) and exhaust (AWE) and a stage 1 ECU upgrade. We've also installed progressive lowering springs (VW Racing). We're still dickering with Koni and/or Bilstein about sport shocks (they won't certify the fitment even though it's A4 spec). After that we'll upgrade the anti-roll bars somewhat. I also plan to install APR's transmission control unit (TCU) upgrade with the goal of smoother powertrain shifting and higher launch RPM capability. This should improve off-the-line performance a bit. I probably won't do a down-pipe upgrade, as it's unnecessary for the mission I have for the car. With a winter's worth of experience under its belt, it's worked out fine for driving the New Mexico and Colorado mountains, even lowered and on 17" winter wheels, which lowers it even more.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an Allroad as well and may have lucked out on Avant Sline suspension as I found
1 available and picked it up.

Considering the height of a stock Allroad, it is a significant drop while keeping stock suspension ride.

I have always had modified cars, 4-5 VW's, all 2.0t's, all chipped(and more) but somehow I don't think I will touch the Allroads' engine.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm also doing an "S4-Avant-like Allroad".
The last S4 Avant in the U.S. was doing 5.6 - 5.8 seconds 0 - 60, and a Stage 1 ECU upgrade can bring the allroad to that level.
That's quick enough for daily driving.

My plan is as follows:

(1) Alu Kreuz - already done $420

(2) Stage 1 Revo Software - scheduled it for this Friday $576 total ($499 without tax).

(3) Sway Bars - If Alu Kreuz continues to satisfy, then this can wait a while. I won't track the AR anyway.

(4) Performance Exhaust - I'm hesitate that it will not pass emission inspection (any suggestions? I'm looking for a cheap one that improves the sound of the engine)

(5) New Wheels / New Tires (19 inches ?) - Looking at new tires, and probably wheels.

(6) H&R Coil Springs - lower the AR by 1.4 inches (I'm not sure about this, since I take the allroad to the mountains and may continue to need the high ground clearance).

Last edited by ayap; 07-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry, I didn't check back earlier on this. The exhaust we used was from AWE, not cheap but very effective, and emissions compliant, too.