A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

2013 Allroad rack options??

Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for the Whispbar S16 (47 inches as well). I don't get the flush look but I do get 13 inches more of usable rack. The usable space will only accomodate t slot attachments at the ends but they space is space. The racks look pretty good even though they stick out a bit. They look very similar to the Aeroblade look. I still prefer the Aeroblade mounts, but I had to give up something to get the t slot rubber that I wanted. I don't know why the US market is resistant to the t slot use. It is so superior. Anyway, I will post pics when I take some this weekend. This was much more involved than I initially thought. There are so many options and pros and cons. All have different looks and depends on personal preferences and prioritization of what is important to you.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Some pics of racks

Here are some pics as promised. They are not very good, just taken with my phone in the garage, but they do show the different racks. I didn't have time for anything more elaborate. I tested the sound levels at highway speeds up to 90 mph and it is as advertised. I was listening closely for wind noise, even with the sunroof open. There was no noticeable noise.

First pic of S16 with Thule Echelon bike rack.
Second pic of S16 alone.
Third of S5 Flushbar (didn't fit, but S6 should).
Fourth of S53 Railbar (again didn't fit and contacts sunroof; S54 should fit with that caveat)
Attached Images     
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by theSaint024
I opted for the Whispbar S16 (47 inches as well). I don't get the flush look but I do get 13 inches more of usable rack. The usable space will only accomodate t slot attachments at the ends but they space is space. The racks look pretty good even though they stick out a bit. They look very similar to the Aeroblade look. I still prefer the Aeroblade mounts, but I had to give up something to get the t slot rubber that I wanted. I don't know why the US market is resistant to the t slot use. It is so superior. Anyway, I will post pics when I take some this weekend. This was much more involved than I initially thought. There are so many options and pros and cons. All have different looks and depends on personal preferences and prioritization of what is important to you.
Hi, so with the S16 and the Echelon bike rack on, does the sunroof open just fine. I bought the S45 flushbar and the sunroof barely opens. With my high rollers and the bolts mounted, the sunroof will definetly not open. While the flushbar looks great, i'd like use of the sunroof so I'm considering the higher S16.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Smartfoot Fit kit

Originally Posted by theSaint024
I opted for the Whispbar S16 (47 inches as well).
Do you recall which Smartfoot Fit Kit you used to install the Whispbar S16? Was it the K328 called out on the Yakima fit guide? I'm having issues getting a tight fit attaching to the side bars.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just opted to go with the Audi racks. Looking at your pics, they are extremely similar as the Thule Flushbars?
They are nice. Just not as easy to get on&off as the Audi ones that came with my previous Q5, that was a bit of a bummer.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by triplej
Do you recall which Smartfoot Fit Kit you used to install the Whispbar S16? Was it the K328 called out on the Yakima fit guide? I'm having issues getting a tight fit attaching to the side bars.
I ordered the S16 and the K328 smart foot as that was recommended to me. I get them tomorrow so I'll let you know if I have any issues getting them to fit properly. The S45 flushbars I have on now is a great fit on the rails. However, the flushbars are too flush and too low. Can't open my sunroof and getting any attachments on is a challenge as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The K328 is the fit kit you need for the flush or through bars. The railbar S54 fits without a fit kit.

Regarding the Echelon, I use with the T-slot adapters. I imagine the factory attachments may be a close call and may not fit due to the ***** on the bottom. I highly recommend getting the t slot adapters for all attachments. They fit flush on top and no protrusions on the bottom. The kit I got was a whole different story. The adapt9 kit from thule only has the front attachments. I used an adapt1 kit for the back. Kind of a hassle but speeds up the on and off and looks much better. With this setup, sunroof opens easily. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 Audi Allroad Rack???

Hey TheSaint....so what happened. My wife bought the 2013 Allroad and we are looking for the rack that clears the sunroof as well. Is the saga over? Which rack did you ultimately end up with, model numbers, etc.

Thank you so much for your reply.....hopefully soon as Christmas is coming.

Happy Thanksgiving, Scottmon
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ooopppsssss

Never Mind, I see the postings
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the Yakima Whispbar K328 fit kit mounted with the S17 since I needed some extra bar length. The bars by themselves are amazingly quiet, especially compared to the Yakima round bars I initially installed. I got a huge amount of wind noise from the round bars, even with fairings installed.

I get a little bit of wind noise when I add the large cargo carrier I have to the racks, but that's to be expected. And the noise from the cargo carrier with the Whispbar is significantly less than the noise from just the round bars, no carrier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Allroad rack options??