Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Feedback requested - A3 2.0 FWD in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback requested - A3 2.0 FWD in winter?

First off, yes -it would be used w/ dedicated snows all around and I know the AWD Quattro would be the way to go however used 3.2s are too expensive and there are some decent deals to be had on the 2.0's. Besides given that I put 30-35k a yr the mileage of the 2.0 is much better.

Anyone who lives in a snowy part of the country have a 2.0 and any input? Pros/Con's.....Specifically anyone in the mtns? Am I foolish to consider a FWD Audi?

Thanks for any input
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know why people freak at not having Quattro when they want to buy an Audi.

Me, I'd rather not deal with Quattro frankly. FWD is fine, rwd is fine, each in it's own right in foul weather. I've got both(fwd and rwd) and never needed awd. Hauling around the extra and unused hardware never appealed to me. What about torque-steer? Thankfully, and the reason I went with FWD (having sworn to never own a fwd car ever again after our underpowered yet torque-steer happy Honda Accord), is that the A3 2.0T is actually on the neutral side, unlike say a MazdaSpeed3.

But that's me.

On really high output Audi's, awd has it's place for traction even in the dry, but high output hasn't really appealed to me either.

And yes, I love Audi, followed it's history through the Rohl years, IMSA, Grupe-B, Michelle Mouton Pikes Peak, yada, yada.

But Audi's marketing is dependent on Quattro, just as BMW's marketing is dependent on the Ultimate Driving Machine.

None of which really measures up to daily life.

Sorry for the mini-rant.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I live in Canada, use Hakkapalitas, and no trouble.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've spent 7 years at ski mtn's out west...all FWD snow tires, not one issue...

Get the best snow tire you can find (Nokian Rsi), and you'll go anywhere. The only time you'll have a problem is when it's too deep and you hang up on the bottom. As long as you have clearance, you're fine. 2 of those years were at Alta, drove up and down LCC everyday, never once got stuck.

If you're car can't make it...the canyon will be closed.

And the cops think you have quattro, so they don't make you put chains on either, it's great. Drive right on by with a nice little wave.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Go for it

I drive my 2.0T during the winters of New England and Quebec and it's quite surefooted in the snow. Get a good set of snow tires and you'll be all set.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mine works just fine.

FWD cars do just fine when combined with dedicated snowtires.
Yes, Quattro is better. No, Quattro is not required unless you're a really crappy driver.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's more of a crutch, too.

A 4wd friend got stuck somewhere with all seasons, my car got through with the Nokians no problem.

Quattro is nice, but tires are infinitely more important. Get dedicated winters, performance summers, and save the money on gas (from lugging the extra weight).
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've had my '06 for a few seasons, does just fine here in Upstate NY.

I go skiing in VT all the time in the Green Mountains, does fine. I do run snow tires, that's more important than how many tires are driving your forward.

Not as good as my '01 A4 1.8T Quattro was, but the A3 does well, and has better ESP than the A4 did. Plus, you don't need Quattro 95% of the time, why carry the excess weight.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is like any other FWD car, but the electronic throttle and stability elec are weird. Also.....

Get the "real" ice and snow tires, I have Blizzak 205/55x16 LM25's which are a "compromise performance sort of all weather" tire, and they suck in the snow-but don't wander in the dry. We have MZ-02's on the A4 and much better at dealing with the white stuff. In another thread someone proved the 205/60x15's fit, so go that route.

Also, and this seems to be a really minor point with others, but pizzes me to no end, you can't get this car to rotate with left foot braking due to the electronics shutting the throttle closed right when you want it most!!!! The car is not spirited to drive in the snow, and I think the ABS is way too aggressive and locks the front when there is more to be had from the rear brakes, causing longer stopping distances. I would rather have an old school car for "fun" winter driving, but all in all for "just driving" in the winter the FWD A3 is ok. Again, get the right tire choice and you will be fine.