Any interest in buying Motorsport coilover strut assemblies outright w/exchange program?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:49 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any interest in buying Motorsport coilover strut assemblies outright w/exchange program?

There's enough people asking about this that dont have access to the tools and welding equipment required to DIY or the knowledge but wanting to have fully adjustable suspension with the ability to use larger diameter UrS struts.

Basically a strut exchange program where someone buys fully modified front and/or rear strut assemblies converted to large diameter strut capacities with coilover kits pre-installed from me that are plug-n-play-ready right outta the box. Only one level of finish available and it's "total" in nature consisting of the following.

1. Lathe-turned strut housings to remove stock lower spring perches then a "flat" turned into steering arm upper weld to prevent having to use a weld-on threaded sleeve seat ring as a seat for threaded adjustment sleeves.

2. Swaged upper front strut tube necks cut off and new wide-mouth shouldered strut tube extensions hand tig'd and perfectly aligned then weld bead turned flat/parallel to strut tube OD in the lathe. Rear strut housings would have threaded sleeve ring seats hand tig'd on underside to strut tubes.

3. Threaded adjustment sleeves fitted and adhered to strut tube OD.

4. Totally bead blasted to remove old paint, rust, scaling etc.

5. Entire strut assembly except strut cap threads and aluminum coilover components re-painted in gloss black (catalyzed) 2-part polyurethane epoxy.

6. Provided with or without Pro-Mounts with your choice of race, street or ralley thickness Mount-Savers.

Figure on 1-1.5 hour(s) per corner installation time, before ride-height adjustment, as no spring compressor is required with coilovers. Basically a "tit-for-tat" strut swap. No additional work beyond a simple strut swap is required.

Costs would "likely" be in the $325-$350 per-strut front/$250-$275 per strut rear ballpark before Pro-Mounts, shocks & springs which you would purchase on your own. Worst case a $1250 expenditure before Pro-Mounts, spring & shocks for plug-n-play convenience and brand new "appearing" strut assemblies on all 4 corners. Depending on Bilstein shocks chosen (UrS Bilstein Sports at +/- $145 each average street pricing (fronts)w/shipping, (rears slightly less) and springs at $65 each (average street prices w/shipping).

This would put the average complete Quattro front/rear "plug-n-play" coilover kit right in the $2.4k neighborhood ($400 less if you already own front/rear Pro-Mounts) with larger piston UrS Bilstein Sport struts and Pro-Mounts. Figure FWD and/or B4Q at $200 more than half that much due to not being able to use this system on the rear.

I personally believe that's beyond the "justifiable" financial reach of many/most here and elsewhere for these cars. But I told a few I'd crunch the numbers and see what I could come up with if providing this service. And I can't personally offer this if interest level doesn't support/justify purchasing 3-4 pair of front/rear strut assemblies at a time to have sitting around pre-made as I just can't financially justify doing these on any kind of custom or "one-up" basis without prices going dramatically higher. In order for me to make out I need to do these in small batches of 3-4 front and rear pairs at a time.

I will have to make at least one front kit as described above just to have before and after pics of the entire wide-mouth strut extensions and coilover kits. But expect to pay thru the wazoo for that pair if you're serious about purchasing it. Wouldn't break my heart to just hold on to it so I always have it around for reference when being asked questions. I'm not one of those that sells his private Audi inventory or old stock. I hold on to that stuff forever!

I personally think, and silently kinda hope this isn't something enough people want that I have to seriously consider doing it. But there it is.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #1 after 158 views! Count me as the first.

I assume this setup would work with my solid strut mounts.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would be interested, but I would still be interested if I have to do it myself

add me to the list regardless
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same here.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just an FYI, there's always this option...and you get adjustable shocks.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.034motorsport.com/index.php?cPath=25_90">klik</a></li></ul>
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just another FYI; nothing in the KW lineup is compatible with solid or Pro-Mounts...

without custom upper perch adapters and custom sleeved upper strut nuts front &amp; rear. KW only builds CO's specifically to mate with OEM strut mounts. And while you get adjustable struts you don't get any choice in spring rates. Swap springs and ya lose your lifetime warranty.

Drop a V8, V6 or a 16V turbo in your CQ (or other chassis) you get the same coilover setup as a CQ (or other chassis) with stock engine. Same with any other heavier engine conversion or weight-reduced car. Same with if ya just want to experiment with a lighter/heavier rate spring. It's a model-specific "one-size-fits-all" coilover program.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

didn't know that, though nobody is limited to pro/solid mounts.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default thats true but anything/everything related to my coilover setup is Pro-Mount/Mance-Mount specific...

Tho I appreciate the KW resource as I REALLY dont want to have to do entire strut assemblies.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my stuff is already adjustable. i just want the improvements that mance has...

oh so diligently researched out. If I had the time resources and know how I would have loved to but since I dont, I will be very appreciative to buy Mances' product[s] as that KW setup isnt an improvement over what i have now.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very intersted

only would need the fronts and no mounts, have your solid mounts instead.