EGR system questions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR system questions??

Does anybody know where is a good place to look for general information on the EGR system. I don't really know how it works and would just like a better understanding of the system. Is EGR failure on the Audi a common problem? If so what is the usual fix?
Old 04-11-2003, 06:14 AM

Default General information on EGR system

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf">http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 04-11-2003, 07:52 AM

Where in the Bently can one find info on EGR?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:25 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

EGR problems are common on high mileage 2.8 V6 : carbon clogged EGR passage in the intake manifold.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EGR rebuild.

I cleaned my EGR system last weekend. I was getting a EGR flow insufficient failure code. This seems to be quite common on 12V V6's (above 75Kmiles). If you want to clean the EGR system this what I did.I removed the EGR valve first (which is a pain and needs a 22mm or 7/8 crow
foot wrench and 10mm socket) and the Throttle Body afterwards (which is pretty easy 6mm Allen). Its probably easier to do the other way round. I originally thought I could clean the EGR passage without removing the TB. However most of the carbon buildup was at the point where the passage goes from horizontal to vertical just in front of the TB so it's kind of difficult to see both ends of the passage without removing the TB.Also I thought I might dislodge something that could end up somewhere I didn't want it be. Once I did that I used carb cleaner and a 1/4 drill (twisting by hand) to clear the main passage which is straight. I used a small piece of wire from the TB end to clean the point where it enters the
intake manifold. I blew out everything with a compressed air spray and after I was done I cleaned up with a wet and dry vac. I also cleaned the EGR valve but it really wasn't too bad. By sucking on the vacuum inlet I could see it
worked. Since I had the TB off I cleaned it. There was a vacuum port by the larger butterfly that was completely plugged with
carbon.When I put it back together I re-installed the EGR valve and new gasket first then I installed the TB with a new gasket. On my car I also replaced the vacuum tubes It took me
about 2 hours to disassemble everything and clean. About 1 1/2 hours to put it back together. The total cost including gaskets and vacuum tube and cleaners was loss than $20.I cleared the error and it has not retuned.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:01 AM

Default Thanks for the replys.......

I think this is the imformation I was looking for. This definatley sounds like the problems that I am having. At highway speeds the car runs great. No problems with acceleration. Coming off the highway you have to stomp the gas to get the car to do anything. I am getting a low flow code on the vag-com. I guess I will be cleaning out the system this week and see what happens.