For those who believe in Santa Claus (or that Meyle parts are made in Germany)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:48 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who believe in Santa Claus (or that Meyle parts are made in Germany)...

First off Meyle is a German company but the big question remains as to how/why a German company might offer such bargain basement prices on anything they claim to manufacture for German cars. Bottom line is they can't. What they do instead is rely solely on importing complete, "ready-to-install" parts wholly manufactured in China to Germany then label them as German parts. But we're not alone in getting that good old Meyle part. Meyle is also an OEM parts supplier to the likes of Hyundai & Daewoo (you are the company you keep). Observation* You think owners of those cars believe they're getting "real-deal" Korean-made OEM parts like we do about German parts when buying Meyle?

Far as I can tell the Meyle Company has no manufacturing plant or production facility. Just compnay offices, warehouses and distribution centers. Wonder how/where they "manufacture" these so-called "german" parts?

Ten minutes Googling netted dozens and dozens of parts made in mainland China that specifically mention one of their largest importers being "Meyle" in Germany. I've enclosed a link to one such place but I could've linked to another 15-20 before getting to page 3 at Google. The REALLY funny thing in all this is Meyle doesn't want you to find this information while the Chinese, bless their hearts, are SO proud of it they can't keep quiet about it! Another interesting snippet is when I do a reverse-search using Sachs/Boge, Bosch etc I can't find even one Chinese company listing it exports finished parts to them.

First thing you have to know is no German company on the planet is going to manufacture stuff in-house then make it available to the US for 20% of any German part's price its imitating. But enough of my preaching. If anyone wants a Meyle widget and it makes em all warm & runny inside thinking they got the deal of the century on a quality German part by buying into the ruse then good luck. There's nothing on the planet that can't be made cheaper and of lesser quality if that's "your" bottom line.

It's all been done before. The Sam Walton School of Applied Capitalism is alive and flourishing even in Europe today!<ul><li><a href="http://www.lihoy.com/company/10186.html">One of Meyle's Chinese Exporters</a></li></ul>
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So true! LOL!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default check out this page, and see the other products this company makes.

<ul><li><a href="http://pair.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824918133/pdtl/Automotive-bearing/1001611711/Wheel-Hub.htm">http://pair.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824918133/pdtl/Automotive-bearing/1001611711/Wheel-Hub.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is just the beginning, as the Chinese market expands

more and more everyday, more companies are looking to move in to cut manufacturing costs. No other country on the planet can compete with China's "manpower" and low operations costs.

I see this all the time, German car parts made in china but most of those come in "unmarked" or distributor boxes (ie, autozone, NAPA, Autopart International) and not a Meyle box. (edit) "Good to know that Meyle is officially on the China bandwagon"

And on top of it all, China has underdeveloped copyright laws, which is only going to make matters worse in the end for everyone.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OT but it is because of this I hope to live and work overseas in the future.

studying mandarin helps too
Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's important to point out that shoddy parts is primarily coming from "mainland China"...

and that products coming from other areas like Taiwan are SERIOUSLY good stuff these days and have for the past 10 years or so. My 3 axis CNC mill is from Taiwan and costs a little over $32k. I couldnt touch the size, build quality, precision or tolerances from any European manufacturers for less than $200k or US made for $130k and pound-for-pound I would run heads-up against any of those on the quality of parts that machine makes and enjoy better/longer service life. The Taiwanese are hands-down the reason for Bridgeport's demise in the milling machine business. Bridgeports kept "telling" people "here's how you'll get it" while the Taiwanese kept "asking" people "how do you want it?" Then brought it to market in a 1000% better machine tool for 10% of the money. You can argue many things, howevever "success" isn't one of them. Wouldnt have mattered if what the machines cost, if they were junk like the mainland China stuff no one would jumped all over em. Would be like Harbor Freight making a tool for seriously high-end, ultraq-close tolerance production... NEVER gonna happen!!

Funny thing is the Taiwan people buy all the old European machinery and tooling to make this type of equipment with then hand those guys their asses on price vs quality.

But it's always true that; "a good machinist will make better parts on bad equipment than a bad machinist can make on good equipment."
Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny...Belt tensioners/pulleys and rear wheel bearings - all the common failure parts on new Audis!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You just like child labor and love!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I found the site earlier that makes control arms, ball joints, strut mounts...

tie rod ends and shock absorbers for Meyle. That site showed pics as well. Amazing that Meyle has basically built a "German made OEM parts" business with virtually no production facilities whatsoever. Must look like a fireworks storage facility when you walk into one of Meyle's warehouses!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like a Michael Jackson song ;-)

Quick Reply: For those who believe in Santa Claus (or that Meyle parts are made in Germany)...