Pro-Mount Review #1

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Mount Review #1

I have been running 1PissedOff90's Pro-Mount in street thickness for about 3 weeks now. I have to say I am impressed with their durability. I seem to have not gotten any play or any bit collapsed. I drive my 90 daily in the very rough streets of Chicago and with an OEM style mount I would have usually found there to be some collapsing occuring by now. A few things to note. I have seemed to get some mroe noise from the front end after this install. I am not sure if its a couple of different things like sway bar links, steering damper, or my recently found busted driver outer CV boot. I am going to try to fix of the the play I have in the front end so I can give a better feel for what the mounts have done. Since I will be doing some things like front axles and wheel bearings this weekend, I will take pictures of the Pro-Mounts 1 month after installation. So keep tuned for more.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default when you have time, pop the strut nuts and cupped washer off of one...

peer inside and see if you still have the small gap between Mount-Saver bottoms and strut mount floor. I still have mine at 494 miles. Until that gap goes away the Mount-Savers cant even be considered to be broken in yet as there's more dampening to come from them when that gap disappears. Right now I'm still riding on 1st Stage damping which only relies on outer mount-saver/strut tower damping. When the gap closes Stage 2 damping kicks in "full-time" and even more damping resistance is experienced. Until that gap closes the only time you hit Stage 2 damping is over bumps. When fully broken in you'll have Stage 1& 2 simulatnaeously and the suspension at that point starts to take on the charactersistics of the solid mounts as the Pro-Mounts and inserts start to meld together and conform to each other creating a semi-sold mount. And thats when these guys REALLY start to shine!!

I machined one pair down to achieve that faster and thats what I drove on while testing these before installing them full-time. But I wanted to wear down my permanent pair like everyone else... thru natural break-in.

I would think your Vogtlands should accelerate that break-in. Let me know what you find when you go looking for that small gap. Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Will do!

I was kinda wondering actually if that was gonna happen with the mounts like they were gonna "set" into place with some wear. Cool stuff. I'll take it apart this weekend and let you know.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where do I get these, and who is Mance, and where do I get his other parts? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, they definitely make the front end more stiff/tight...

...although this is the first B4 I've ever done struts/strut mounts in. And (like Mance kept saying to me over and over) the Bilstein are a big part of the equation too. Combined they give the front a very stiff but not harsh ride. The ProMounts have the race MountSavers.

Most of my mileage has been highway driving, although the city driving I've done has been around Fort Collins (the roads are in horrible shape here). So far nothing feels any worse than they day I installed them.

Last week I did get to drive over some severely wash-boarded dirt roads in Evergreen and do so rather quickly (just to give the mounts/struts a workout).

Either way the 90 is still driving great, nothing out of the ordinary to report (except the pining noise from the front/left is still there - no change after removing the rings around the cupped washers).